• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a mess this forum is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

I'm sure I used block-caps
    I was just about to post the same thing - my post (and the quote) seemed to be converted to lowercase
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      IE6 wasn't a priority, .
      Yip don't worry about your customers ... sheesh ... that's not a good attitude. I guess the mountain will come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        That's rather an elitist response.
        (Standard programmers response #6 - "It works ok on my machine guv!")

Sounds like an excuse for insufficient time spent in requirements gathering.

Oh well.
        The situation is analogous to a piece of desktop software not working on Windows 2000. There may be people stuck with Windows 2000 in corporate environments saddled with incompetent head-in-the-sand the-future-is-never IT departments, and it is worth finding a way to support them, but it isn't as high on the list of priorities as getting it working on the platforms in widespread use to provide a solid basis on which to apply backwards compatibility.

Current stats from StatCounter suggest that Worldwide, IE6 has just over 10% usage:

which goes down to just over 4% in the UK:

Even allowing for IE7, something like two-thirds of people are using a browser that ought to be capable of displaying the site without issues. That figure may be higher here due to the number of people accessing the site from a client's, which is what makes it worth fixing. However IE6 is no longer a dominant browser and, if necessary, it will just get a barebones skin with almost no styling whatsoever.

Comment

Nick, stop defending yourself. No need. The app’s fine and just needs a little cosmetic tuning; much better than the tulipe I’ve seen clients put into production.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just checked HAB Inc.com and IE 6 is nearly 20% of visitors.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Even allowing for IE7, something like two-thirds of people are using a browser that ought to be capable of displaying the site without issues. That figure may be higher here due to the number of people accessing the site from a client's, which is what makes it worth fixing. However IE6 is no longer a dominant browser and, if necessary, it will just get a barebones skin with almost no styling whatsoever.
              Nick,
              Just a suggestion - as there has been talk of a phone/netbook/workzone forum why not wrap IE6 into this category ?

Comment

How many versions of IE are there?

Ooooh get me - I knew that IE meant Internet Explorer
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The situation is analogous to a piece of desktop software not working on Windows 2000. There may be people stuck with Windows 2000 in corporate environments saddled with incompetent head-in-the-sand the-future-is-never IT departments, and it is worth finding a way to support them, but it isn't as high on the list of priorities as getting it working on the platforms in widespread use to provide a solid basis on which to apply backwards compatibility.

Current stats from StatCounter suggest that Worldwide, IE6 has just over 10% usage:

which goes down to just over 4% in the UK:

Thanks for the feedback. However, you're not in a position to wag the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Just checked HAB Inc.com and IE 6 is nearly 20% of visitors.
                    Just checked one site I did
                    Top Three
                    34.40% IE 8.0
                    24.40% IE 7.0
                    16.40% IE 6.0

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      How many versions of IE are there?

Ooooh get me - I knew that IE meant Internet Explorer
                      Well the latest is IE8 so...

Comment

Working...