• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a mess this forum is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    i have to admit, I do keep laughing out loud each time I look at it

I wonder if NickFitz will put this assignment on his cv ?

Milan.
    IE6 wasn't a priority, being a bug-ridden heap of junk that should have been killed off years ago. No sane person or company should still be using it, and I suggest you advise your clients accordingly. Even Microsoft strongly advise against using it as it is a serious security risk.

I'll get it fixed at some point, but a decrepit piece of junk like that is about as high a priority as supporting Windows 3.11 for Workgroups

EDIT: oh, furthermore, IE6 isn't supported by the new version of the forum software, which is why it's going to take a little while to hack it together. IIRC it supports a few bug fixes for IE 7. IE 8 should be fine.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 21 April 2010, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      IE6 wasn't a priority, being a bug-ridden heap of junk that should have been killed off years ago. No sane person or company should still be using it, and I suggest you advise your clients accordingly. Even Microsoft strongly advise against using it as it is a serious security risk.

I'll get it fixed at some point, but a decrepit piece of junk like that is about as high a priority as supporting Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
      That's rather an elitist response.
      (Standard programmers response #6 - "It works ok on my machine guv!")

Sounds like an excuse for insufficient time spent in requirements gathering.

Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I don't think Zeity's even made it to Windows 3.1 yet

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          That's rather an elitist response.
          (Standard programmers response #6 - "It works ok on my machine guv!")

Sounds like an excuse for insufficient time spent in requirements gathering.

Oh well.
          It's actually a reasonable response in this case. One of the main reasons that IE6 has gone on as long as it has is that most developers have kept coding around its deficiencies. If more sites simply stopped supporting it, it would have died long ago.

Comment

If a few more of you had pitched in with the testing, these problems would have been discovered. Its very unfair to lay into NF after all the hard work he's put in.

Nick - if you want a hand with fixing/testing please let me know.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              It's actually a reasonable response in this case. One of the main reasons that IE6 has gone on as long as it has is that most developers have kept coding around its deficiencies. If more sites simply stopped supporting it, it would have died long ago.
              I don't think so.

It's unreasonable to assume that a user base for which you have no-control will have compatible software - a warning would've been good.

Nick, btw, this is not a personal attack.

Comment

Originally posted by zippy View Post
                nick - if you want a hand with fixing/testing please let me know.
                wzs
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by zippy View Post
                  if a few more of you had pitched in with the testing, these problems would have been discovered. Its very unfair to lay into nf after all the hard work he's put in.

Nick - if you want a hand with fixing/testing please let me know.
                  wzs

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    wzs
                    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    wzs

I'm sure I used block-caps

Comment

Bunk,

I agree with Winston here,

you said,

'If more sites simply stopped supporting it, it would have died long ago.'

I think that is a rather naive method of working, real world scenario will probably end in people avoiding your site and going to the ones which do support the browsers which the people are forced to use by the companies they work for.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X