• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland - 2nd Volcano now erupting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Oddly enough that ( Geology ) is what I originally intended to study at Uni, with the intention of getting into Vulcanology When I got there I found it so mind numbingly boring I switched to IT after the first semester.
    Yep, it's boring at first when you're doing all the drawings of u-shaped and v-shaped valleys and meanders and so on, but it gets interesting when you start on the volcanoes and earthquakes.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If you are interested in volcanoes what's special about this one? There are many places with active volcanoes around the world, on hotspots or diverging plate boundaries.
      Is the Icelandic one special in any way? Close proximity to the ocean, other factors?
      It's under a glacier, so you have all sorts of interactions going on with the magma, ice and water. Thats partly why it's created such a huge ash plume. The melting ice from the glacier is pouring water onto the magma, the water is flashing to steam extreemly violently and carrying large amounts of particles up with it as it expands.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you are interested in volcanoes what's special about this one? There are many places with active volcanoes around the world, on hotspots or diverging plate boundaries.
        Is the Icelandic one special in any way? Close proximity to the ocean, other factors?
        Under a glacier, able to melt lots of fresh water and dump it in the Atlantic, and right next door to a huge volcano that may very well blow. It´s also a chance to see the mid Atlantic ridge in action, which mostly happens under the sea where you can´t see it. This is plate tectonics live on webcams. Remember, plate tectonics is a very recent theory (20th century) and the chance to actually see it happening is bwilliant.

Also, vulcanologists just enjoy watching things go BANG. It really is a bit of a Brainiac science.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          And sometimes they get a bit too close.
          Hmmm crispy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Yep, it's boring at first when you're doing all the drawings of u-shaped and v-shaped valleys and meanders and so on, but it gets interesting when you start on the volcanoes and earthquakes.
            I've got some nice pictures of Milford Sound (which isn't actually a sound) if you like.

I'll swap them for the ash cloud disappearing and me being able to get home from HK.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Lot of people on twitter saying its a hoax and the webcam is pointed at Eeejjjyweejjjythingummy.

I'm back on the Eurostar tomorrow.
              That'll probably be cancelled too - "ash on the line".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hope they start flying soon, I've got a meeting in Amsterdam on Monday and CM to dispose of for a week!

Comment

Just came from up there, there is no ash as far as the eye can see.

Maybe the whole story is a hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Hope they start flying soon, I've got a stag night in Amsterdam on Monday and CM to dispose of for a week!
                    FTFY
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      FTFY
                      There is no way I would have my stag-night in Amsterdam.

Comment

Working...
                      X