• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OMG hotel prices in Berlin...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just booked a 4 star suite for 60 euros!!!!!

The same room in boring bedfordshire would cost me £150 easily

I'm liking Berlin already....
    And you can often negotiate a long term deal on a suite. Works out easier and cheaper, especially when considering all the bulltulip paperwork, than getting a proper flat entails.

And they're way better than English 4*, even though it's supposed to be a standardised system, the *s that is.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      And you can often negotiate a long term deal on a suite. Works out easier and cheaper, especially when considering all the bulltulip paperwork, than getting a proper flat entails....
      This is what I did at my last away from home contract, and what I'd do in the future. No cleaning, no laundry, cheap rates.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi Scooter

Can you please be so kind as to let me know the name of the hotel that you booked - I ask as I am visiting Berlin to attend the Intenationl Space Station Symposium on Tuesday (http://www.iss2010symposium.com/iss/...istration.aspx) and need some accomodation - the cheaper the better !

Cheers

Comment

Best Western is a franchise and not a chain so quality is variable. I've stayed in some nice ones and I've stayed in some real dumps.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            Hi Scooter

Can you please be so kind as to let me know the name of the hotel that you booked - I ask as I am visiting Berlin to attend the Intenationl Space Station Symposium on Tuesday (http://www.iss2010symposium.com/iss/...istration.aspx) and need some accomodation - the cheaper the better !

Cheers

PM sent
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Best Western is a franchise and not a chain so quality is variable. I've stayed in some nice ones and I've stayed in some real dumps.

True, I've stayed in a very modern BW in Norway, could not complain... Only in England have I had bad experiences with this hotel
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Was thinking of spending the summer in the place like this on the outskirts, just my thing - not a club/drinker type myself, rather sit out in the sun with a good book.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  yes went to berlin for brothers stag do

hotels were cheap but very good - never seemed to get up for breakfast so cannot comment on food!

if you are over there for a jolly do a search for walking tours - take about 3-4 hours and take in all the major sites throughout berlins history - i found it fascinating

one thing i did struggle to find was decent bars/clubs - plenty of places to buy beer but they all seemed a bit dull - maybe I was in the wrong area!
                  We did the same and agree, even had an outdoor pop concert infront of the gates while we were there so all the trappings of a lively city but dull it is. We trawled the whole place and didn't find anything approaching a vibrant night life. Plenty of places to drink, no doubt about that but not what you would expect for a city of it's size. It's definately got potential though.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

True, I've stayed in a very modern BW in Norway, could not complain... Only in England have I had bad experiences with this hotel
                    I’ve stayed in several Best Westerns, primarily in Holland but also in other parts of Europe, as both my last employer and a previous clientco had corporate deals with them. Every single one was utterly dreadful. Uninterested customer service, dreadful food, incompetent waiters, filthy swimming pools, worn out bedsheets, cigarette burns on the 1980s furniture and wildly overpriced compared to the much more attractive B&Bs just down the road. It amazes me that any self respecting hotel owner would connect his business to this name, and I really don’t understand how they continue to exist. They are the Lada among hotels, the only difference being the higher quality standards of Lada.

So maybe there are one or two good ones, but that doesn't make up for the dreaadful ones I've seen.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I can beat that! Got a suite in the Hotel Berlin for 30 euro a night! Breakfast cost more but we managed to blag that at staff rates too, 3.50 Euro!

That's the key, staff rates, we knew someone!

I love Berlin, I'm insanely jealous of you! whereabouts are you staying (interested) and working (hopes to blag a gig there too)....?

Comment

Working...
                      X