• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses MPs Devine, Chaytor and Morley get legal aid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post

Gordon Brown says they'll have to pay it back.

So it looks like they're going to get away with it.
    Apparently Labour MPs have taken to saying they'll "increase their ambition" to do something.

In other words, they may have wanted to do it before, but now they want to do it even more.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The thing is, they will get the money under the new rules too.

It's going to cost well in excess of £5 mil to drag these guys through court: and both sides appear to have teams of the countries most eye-wateringly expensive silks on the case.

I bet they all got together over dinner at one of the Inns and did Port challenges to decide who was going to be on what side.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        WTF are you all on about. They have as much right to public funding as anyone else. Christ we give that McKinnon idiot enough cash and people murdering, stealing, illegal immigrants...

Jeez get real....
        That was quite an unprovoked and ungrammatical rant that you were heading off on there. A bit reminiscent of Asperger's if you ask me. Not that you did.

Comment

Gotta concede, AtW had a blinding idea the other month (Or it may have been me).

Fees paid to briefs should gradually decline over the duration of a case, for example 1% per day. That would give them a huge incentive to avoid spinning out cases (which as things stand they undoubtedly do).
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Gotta concede, AtW had a blinding idea the other month (Or it may have been me).

Fees paid to briefs should gradually decline over the duration of a case, for example 1% per day. That would give them a huge incentive to avoid spinning out cases (which as things stand they undoubtedly do).
            Sounds great, I can imagine the conversation on the golf course...

Lawyer 1: How did you get on with that complete travesty of justice you were working on.
            Lawyer 2: Pfft, it looked like it was going to go on for a fortnight so I sold the guy out. Think he got life in the end. From now on it's strictly guilty pleas for me. Kerching!

Comment

On what basis are they eligible for state legal aid ? As former MP ?
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Almost certainly because they're "likely to succeed".
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Under the current system anyone being tried in a Crown Court is entitled to legal aid for their defence costs for all but a few types of case ( Libel is not covered for example ).

This is changing in 2010. From January 2010 cases heard in the following courts may have to pay towards their defence costs.
                  • Blackfriars
                  • Swansea
                  • Preston
                  • Bradford
                  • Norwich

From April 2010 this will extend to all Crown Courts in England and Wales.

In essence if you are under 18 or on Benefits you will pay nothing.

For others aid will be means tested and you will be expected to pay your defence costs if you have more than a certain level of residual income after living costs and family circumstances have been calculated.

If you residual income is less than £12,475 you will get free legal aid.

If you have more than £22,35 in residual income you will have to pay the full costs.

If you residual income is between those figures then your disposable income will be calculated.

Below £283 per month and you get free legal aid.

Above £283 per month and you will have to pay.

If you are found not guilty you will get back what you have paid, plus interest.

If you are found guilty and have more than £30,000 in capital or savings you may also have to contribute towards your defence costs from this.

If you need it you will have to apply for Legal aid in order to find out if you will get it for free or will have to pay.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 13 April 2010, 13:40.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

great so the lazy unwashed scrotes who don't work and rob our houses while we are out at work will get legal aid and we will not...

is this another of Labours fairness changes?

ffs

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      great so the lazy unwashed scrotes who don't work and rob our houses while we are out at work will get legal aid and we will not...

is this another of Labours fairness changes?

ffs
                      It's to save taxpayers money and force people into pleading guilty at a quicker stage in proceedings instead of the morning of the trial.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X