• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do with your money if you've paid off your mortgage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    buy yourself a woman

it will probably stop you going blind
    He did.

But he punctured it.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Paid off mine in July last year, bought another house in London in November.

Mortgaged til I die.

Edit : Oh yeah, and a Nissan 350Z and a new motorbike.
      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 7 April 2010, 11:41.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Invest more? Perhaps overseas to remove dependence on the £. Pay off BTL mortgages to create a loan free income (you'll get shafted on tax though).

Extend your home to enjoy a better quality of life as well as add value to it.

Give to the needy?

Plan for the years in which you won't be working?

I have the same problem, but I'm young-ish and have a lot of expenses coming up in the future... so I can't just go spending it all (doesn't stop my wife trying though).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's embarrassing the thousands accumulating in my account every month.
          Don't really know what to do with it.
          My only indulgences are fine whiskies and books, and these don't eat into the cash fast enough.
          how about Church and charity? Helping people less fortunate than yourself?

Comment

Gold and silver bullion.
            Weapons.
            Tinned food.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
              Gold and silver bullion.
              Weapons.
              Tinned food.
              Buy a disused MoD establishment as your hideout.
              Get a monocle and a fluffy white cat.
              Buy a full size train set (every proper hideout has a railway).
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                how about superstious peadophiles and charity begins at home? Helping people less fortunate than yourself?
                I would help people less fortunate but I haven't found one yet.

HTH
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

There is no such thing as too much money. Just too little imagination.

Why not learn to fly, buy a yacht or take up motor racing?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    It's embarrassing the thousands accumulating in my account every month.
                    Don't really know what to do with it.
                    My only indulgences are fine whiskies and books, and these don't eat into the cash fast enough.
                    I'm in the same position. Paid everything off 4 years ago. I like fine wines and buy pointless stuff every week. Apart from that no idea what to do with my money...great init.

Comment

Yes, I have no debt. I'm paying to put the kids through University and as much as possible into my SIPP. In a couple of years time I might just blow a few quid on a nice shiny new "waste of money" motor though, if all goes well.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X