• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pleeeeeeaaaaassssseeee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Has everyone forgotten Thatcher's Britain? That spawned the Young Ones?

Of my 48 years on this planet those years were the worst, mind u the three day week was bad, powercuts etc - who was in charge then? 1973 ish?
    Three day week: Edward Heath.

Also, the TV stations had to stop broadcasting at 10:30PM (just after News at Ten on ITV), although they only used to broadcast until around midnight anyway. I remember being allowed to stay up late on a school night to watch them close down early

I used to quite enjoy the power cuts; spirit of the Blitz, and all that. We'd go round to visit people so we could all sit by candlelight, and had some great evenings. I remember one around 1970 (we were still in Liverpool, and Heath was PM), in the days before the cuts were arranged to a timetable. Back then, the power went off without any warning, and you didn't know when it would come back on again.

The extended family had, without organisation, descended on my Aunty Flo's (she had a gas cooker and could make tea) and we had a rare old time. After a few hours the lights suddenly came back on and the entire room went "Oh..." (with a downward descant) "...that's a shame." Then my Mum and Dad said "Oh well, we'd better get this lot home to bed," but you could tell that everybody was enjoying themselves so much that they were all sad it was over

Thatcher was foul

Comment

Thatcher broke the backs of the unions!

Under New Labour they're starting to heal - be very afraid.

Nick, nice story, very quaint - here (passes tissue) your red tinted glasses need cleaning...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Three day week: Edward Heath.
        This is true but for balance we should also mention the council worker strikes under the Labour government of the late seventies which meant the dead could not be buried and rubbish was piling up in the streets.

Sadly I think we are about to witness a replay of the seventies and the eighties over the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          This is true but for balance we should also mention the council worker strikes under the Labour government of the late seventies which meant the dead could not be buried and rubbish was piling up in the streets.

Sadly I think we are about to witness a replay of the seventies and the eighties over the next two years.
          What bits - the rubbish music?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            What bits - the rubbish music?
            Nah, I'm thinking more in terms of
            • The country running out of money
            • Savage cuts in government spending
            • The decimation of entire communities
            • Social unrest

That sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Has everyone forgotten Thatcher's Britain? That spawned the Young Ones?
              As well as created careers for many others in the comedic arts that have done wonders for British exports of media.

Another triumph for Thatcher.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I'm just bored of Labour - sometimes a change can just make things seem better - although I do hope if the Tories get in there is some tighter controls on the benefits system - kind of sick of tax dollar going to lazy chavs to watch tv and breed.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  I'm just bored of Labour - sometimes a change can just make things seem better - although I do hope if the Tories get in there is some tighter controls on the benefits system - kind of sick of tax dollar going to lazy chavs to watch tv and breed.
                  Me too but Tories won't change that. No party and particularly no civil servant has the guts for that fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X