• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway Horror Stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post

All the traffic ahead hit their brakes and becuase I was following stupidly close to the car in front leaving myself zero safety margin I was lucky to find an escape route.

Which was nice.
    FT

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      A702 from M74 to Edinburgh, only one real over taking place, I hate that road, almost kill myself and others every time I'm on it!

A76 too, I've certainly had my adrenaline rush on that road.

God I miss Scotland....
      FT

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        If someone flashes me acting aggressively and there is no room to pull over I either

A/ Slow right down

B/ Put the hazzard lights on

C/ Open my window and flick a two pence piece over the back of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          C/ Open my window and flick a two pence piece over the back of the car.
          Works well with a handful of mint imperials, which I tend to have handy in the car
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            FT
            Actually I would have been able to stop, but I know the car close behind me wouldn't, and as it was, didn't. I pulled up after the tractor and had him stop as people were injured. Called ambulance and police attended etc. etc. but I didn't want all the gory details to interfere with a good yarn.

Talking of gore. Many years ago there was a multiple pile up in the fog on the M1 just before where the A38 crosses going to Derby. I was up on the roundabout bridge thing so I could look down into the fog and watch it happening. Went down and gave first aid until the Emergency Services arrived. Got to work late, covered in blood, and my boss gave me ear ache for being late. Dumped that job. Who wants to work for a tulip like that? Got some really nice letters and an award.

Which was nice.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              Chef's Top Tip: Don't ever go driving on a German Autobahn
              Why? I love it although driving down the A3 last Friday got bit hairy at one point. A BMW 3 estate was hammering (about 210-220) it in front of me and went to pull over to let me through but there were 3 rusty old Transits with English plates slowly going along when one decided to pull out as the BMW was just pulling in which neccesitated us both slamming on the anchors. The BMW pulled alongside the Transit and a few choice words and hand signals were thrown out. I reckon that they were East Europeans going back home as you now get of lot of UK registered cars going down the autobahn no loaded up with luggage and usually with 4 men in them, quite often driving slowly, sitting in the middle lane.

Many years ago I used to have a Ford Capri (a Commanche, only 12 made by Jeff Savage) and I had found some nice wheels which although they belonged on Vauxhall fitted not too bad. The only thing was if you took two or more off then you had to make sure that you put them back on in the same place. One night a drunken Irish builder drove into the back of me (which is a funny story in itself) in Seven Kings and we decided to let the mechanics who looked after the companies vans fix the damage. I picked the car up a week later and they had done quite a good job however after about 20 miles the car felt a bit funny at the back. I looked in the rear view mirror and as a Volvo was about to overtake, one of the wheels fell off, they had taken them all off and replaced them in the wrong place. Took ages getting back in the right place.

My first ever motorbike was a Yamaha DT250MX and I had quite a few problems with it initially. One day while riding through Chelmsford I stopped at a junction and suddenly the engine started revving at full revs. I hit the killswitch, nothing. Turned the ignition of, nada. Ripped the plug cap off, still not a sausage. A guy jumper out of his car and rammed his jacket up the exhaust piped, still continued running. At this point I was considering dropping it and running like hell until it blew up. Instead we turned the petrol off and it eventually stopped. Never worked that one out.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                .......I had found some nice wheels which although they belonged on Vauxhall fitted not too bad..........
                Bloody Hell!!!! Am I the only one who finds that statement slightly frightening?

When we were young and foolish eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  Bloody Hell!!!! Am I the only one who finds that statement slightly frightening?

When we were young and foolish eh?
                  No you're not - and that's reminded me that I had a wheel fall off a car once - and it was my own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Actually I would have been able to stop, but I know the car close behind me wouldn't, and as it was, didn't. I pulled up after the tractor and had him stop as people were injured. Called ambulance and police attended etc. etc. but I didn't want all the gory details to interfere with a good yarn.

Talking of gore. Many years ago there was a multiple pile up in the fog on the M1 just before where the A38 crosses going to Derby. I was up on the roundabout bridge thing so I could look down into the fog and watch it happening. Went down and gave first aid until the Emergency Services arrived. Got to work late, covered in blood, and my boss gave me ear ache for being late. Dumped that job. Who wants to work for a tulip like that? Got some really nice letters and an award.

Which was nice.
                    Sorry - I take it back

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      Yeah, when I was a kid I saw a car and caravan overturn in front of us on the M6 due to a coach overtaking too fast/close.

It started off just snaking about a bit but the driver thought it best to try to slow down*, which only made it worse. Just as we were about to overtake it decided to go over and next thing we see is a car being swung around on its side right in front of us.

Fortunately there was just enough room for my dad to swerve onto the central reservation and squeeze through the ever closing gap.

* apparently the best action is to accelerate to pull the wiggle out, though hardly the first reaction most people will do.
                      You are right there. My parents had a caravan and the acceleration trick did work. Ater that little scare we paid attention to putting as much load as possible over the caravan's axle, including the gas bottles. A neighbour had a stabiliser for his caravan, which was basically a shock absorber either side of the tow bar. I don't know how effective that was, but it looked a good idea.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X