• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway average speed cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fastest time Manchester to Swindon is 2hrs 50 - but I leave at stupid o'clock on a Monday morning.
    I leave Swindon on a Friday at around 12.30, on a good day it takes 3hrs 45 on my worst day it took 6 effing hours - not the best start to the weekend
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The trick is to get a higher average speed. It's not achieved by sitting in the overtaking lane six inches off the bumper of the car in front, nor by momentarily achieving 90mph. Nor by weaving from lane to lane - unless you have a blue flashing light on top of your car.
      The outside lane does generally move faster, so no matter how you look at it you're going to have a higher average speed the faster you go (until you crash - that tends to ruin your average speed). You're talking about traffic jams, and if all your journey is one long traffic jam you have a point, but then the problem is the traffic jam, not how you drive.

When I did the M40 and M25 every morning, I'd typically do 90, then there'd be stop-start for 10 minutes, then 90 for a bit, then stop-start for another 10 minutes, and that would happen 5 or 6 times. Doing 50 for longer, then having the same 10 minutes of stop-start certainly isn't faster.

To go slightly back on topic, the average speed cameras remain at night and at the weekends where the road is clear and there's no risk to workmen. Then it's definitely the case that going faster would get you there quicker.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        ...You're talking about traffic jams, and if all your journey is one long traffic jam you have a point, but then the problem is the traffic jam, not how you drive...
        Well, yes, I'm talking about busy motorways, I think I made that clear. But the problem is related to how you drive. If you drive as I suggest, in congested conditions, then you may find your journey time is reduced. As an experiment, next time you're in stop-start, see how many times you overtake the same HGV.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That's a popular myth, as is the one about speedos all over-reading. Remember GPS is only accurate if you're on the level and at a constant speed.

I notice a lot of people going way faster than the 50 limits too, so maybe they really aren't switched on, or all those people are driving stolen or unregistered cars, or are just stupid.
          The thing about overreading speedos is true - pick almost any road test from my stack of Car, What Car, Autocar etc

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Keeping a good distance from the car in front
            Nice in theory and important too for safe breaking distances.

Yet on the M25, and probably any other motorway, if you leave more than 10 mm (ok 10 feet then) between you and the car in front, some loon will attempt to squeeze in causing you to break hard.

The other one is where slip roads join the motorway.

People seem oblivious to the double dotted wait line, and merrily merge in at full speed.

If I can see someone about to merge and have time and space, I'll politely overtake them in the middle lane.

But if I can't, well tough. They can pull in after me (providing it's clear ofc).
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Nice in theory and important too for safe breaking distances.
              brake

The other one is where slip roads join the motorway.

People seem oblivious to the double dotted wait line, and merrily merge in at full speed.

If I can see someone about to merge and have time and space, I'll politely overtake them in the middle lane.

But if I can't, well tough. They can pull in after me (providing it's clear ofc).
              Erm, what are you expecting people to do on slip roads? Stop at the end and wait? (If you've ever seen anybody do that it's about the most dangerous and terrifying thing imaginable).

People already on the motorway have to move over or make room.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I always wonder the same thing as the M1 from Sheffield to London is littered with average speed cameras. I always think that the only way I can find out if they are switched off is by getting a ticket but it just is not worth the hassle and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I once did Manchester to Swindon in 2hrs 15mins.

I once did Manchester to Swindon in 5hrs 30mins.

I quite often do Swindon to Manchester in 4hrs plus...
                  Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  My fastest time Manchester to Swindon is 2hrs 50 - but I leave at stupid o'clock on a Monday morning.
                  I leave Swindon on a Friday at around 12.30, on a good day it takes 3hrs 45 on my worst day it took 6 effing hours - not the best start to the weekend
                  How do you know you've left one and arrived at the other? Is it simply the elapsed time?

The secret is to avoid travelling between Manchester and Swindon.. On the plus side, since there's little incentive to go to either location this should be fairly easy to solve

HTH
                  Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
                    How do you know you've left one and arrived at the other? Is it simply the elapsed time?

The secret is to avoid travelling between Manchester and Swindon.. On the plus side, since there's little incentive to go to either location this should be fairly easy to solve

HTH
                    Needs must I'm afraid Rav.

Comment

brake

Erm, what are you expecting people to do on slip roads? Stop at the end and wait? (If you've ever seen anybody do that it's about the most dangerous and terrifying thing imaginable).

People already on the motorway have to move over or make room.
                      No, they don't have to.

I expect people on slip roads to fit in with traffic already on the motorway. They must not stop on the slip road.

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should
                      • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
                      • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

Comment

Working...
                      X