• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bye Bye Gordon Countdown Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 days to go. Au revoir Monsieur Brown!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      6 days to go. Au revoir Monsieur Brown!
      Too early to tell, if Labour promise the Libs proportion representation,
      they may get them into a coalition.

This is what they did in the 70's and the Liberals fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
        Too early to tell, if Labour promise the Libs proportion representation,
        they may get them into a coalition.

This is what they did in the 70's and the Liberals fell for it hook, line and sinker.
        It won't be Gordon though - Nick's already stated he can't work with the guy. Have you ever noticed, Gordon always talks about "The Liberals" - he never uses the term "Liberal Democrats".
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          It won't be Gordon though - Nick's already stated he can't work with the guy. Have you ever noticed, Gordon always talks about "The Liberals" - he never uses the term "Liberal Democrats".
          Well thats all to be decided. Nick has already demonstrated that he change his mind.

Gord might go of his own accord, but he seems to think he is indispenable so
          I wouldn't count on him doing the descent thing and the LAbour party have no
          mechanism to get rid of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
            Well thats all to be decided. Nick has already demonstrated that he change his mind.

Gord might go of his own accord, but he seems to think he is indispenable so
            I wouldn't count on him doing the descent thing and the LAbour party have no
            mechanism to get rid of him.
            Doesn't matter even if the Labour Party hang on to Gordon as leader (doubt this too - he's made too many enemies). It's who can command the support of x number of MPs in the House of Commons.

All academic anyway. As I've said before, it's a shoo-in for Dave and his chums.

Comment

Its great to see the final days of Labour's power base in the U.K., its been a "spend to impress the electorate and therefore maintain power" type government that hasn't really worked and has put Britain into a dangerous financial predicament coupled with the banking crisis.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Liberal Democrat and Conservative coallition either but would prefer a pure Conservative government.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                Its great to see the final days of Labour's power base in the U.K., its been a "spend to impress the electorate and therefore maintain power" type government that hasn't really worked and has put Britain into a dangerous financial predicament coupled with the banking crisis.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Liberal Democrat and Conservative coallition either but would prefer a pure Conservative government.
                Don't think a Lib-Conservative pact will work, Lib-Lab would be the better pact.

Comment

For the floaters, read this and ask yourself if you want to be blamed for flipping up your kids future by failing to stop the runaway gravy train NL has created.

Sure Cameron is just as clueless but I'd rather we were at least heading in the right direction than carry on down this rickety track.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    For the floaters, read this and ask yourself if you want to be blamed for flipping up your kids future by failing to stop the runaway gravy train NL has created.

Sure Cameron is just as clueless but I'd rather we were at least heading in the right direction than carry on down this rickety track.
                    Another perspective given in one of the comments:

Let's get some things straight first. I live in Greece and the country has not 'erupted'. The people clashing with the police are a very small minority controlled by small, radical parties and they act under these parties' orders. The media and especially foreign ones like to exaggerate this picture to show that there is a social explosion. Very far from the truth! I have been to a lot of countries and I watch foreign channels. Greece is much safer than most European countries. Anyway, the vast majority of the Greeks accept the measures, although we are not happy with them, because we know that this is the only way out of the crisis...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Economists regard the bloated civil service with its jobs for life and generous pensions as a cancer consuming the country’s resources. The older generation, the experts grimly concur, turned the state into a giant cash machine to be plundered at will.
                      This could be said of the UK and many countries in the world. It is more serious where the left have had any influence, but it applies to all. For too many years politicians have bought votes with money stolen from children yet to be conceived. It was inevitable that it was going to fail in the end and that end has arrived.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X