• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ow my eyes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Unfortunately my eyes are so fliped up I can't have the laser thingy.
    In what way are they so flipped up? Is it just that you have a significant prescription but it is otherwise normal or do you have problems with astigmatism and/or possibly needing prisms? Do you get "sensible" results on a Hess chart - if you've every done one? Essentially varifocals are difficult to make and adapt to, if there is significance difference in your vision in differing gaze then varifocals are unlikely to ever be entirely successful.

PD is also very important with varifocals, and with more complex prescriptions PD can be difficult to measure, it's not necessarily the actual measurement especially where muscle weakness is a problem and there have been procedures to attempt to resolve this.

Comment

Varifocals are difficult to adapt to, but the problem with them and woth bifocals for computer use is that they are as you say upside down. You can get computer varifocals (or bifocals) with the near part at the top (no it's not a joke). I've never used them so I can't vouch for them.

In any case if the correction you need is at all strong, you should probably have a pair specially made for computer use. That's why your employer is supposed to pay for them.

Personally I wear contacts, 2 different strengths despite my eyes being the same as each other. This is a professional prescription, not a DIY idea: it's called "monovision". With one distance and one near lens, my brain seems to use the one it needs and ignore the other. This works great for some people and not so well for others.
      Last edited by expat; 1 April 2010, 08:27.

Comment

I've tried a variety of opticians over the years including most of the big chains and Boots have been consistently the best. A decent range of styles, not stupidly expensive even if you want two pairs. ( Last time I got new ones I paid the same for two pairs at Boots as I would if I went to spec savers on a 2 for 1 ).
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Guys, I take it you're not forgetting that these are allowable business expenses:
          1. the eye test for glasses, for anyone who works on a computer (even if the test shows you don't need special glasses for it: you had to do the test to find that out)
          2. the computer glasses themselves, if the eye test does show you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Guys, I take it you're not forgetting that these are allowable business expenses:
            1. the eye test for glasses, for anyone who works on a computer (even if the test shows you don't need special glasses for it: you had to do the test to find that out)
            2. the computer glasses themselves, if the eye test does show you need them.
            Yep!

I used vision express and found them professional and helpful.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Do you get "sensible" results on a Hess chart - if you've every done one? Essentially varifocals are difficult to make and adapt to, if there is significance difference in your vision in differing gaze then varifocals are unlikely to ever be entirely successful.

PD is also very important with varifocals, and with more complex prescriptions PD can be difficult to measure, it's not necessarily the actual measurement especially where muscle weakness is a problem and there have been procedures to attempt to resolve this.
              I'll be honest, I've been wearing glasses for 25 years and I didn't understand much of that! I don't think I've ever done a Hess test and I don't know what PD is. Which makes me feel a bit stupid. I've simply left it to my trusty optician to worry about that. Then he retired. I felt a bit stranded, hence trying SpecSavers.

I have some astigmatism in one eye which makes contacts difficult (you need some special lens type which can't rotate). I tried contacts once for a week and simply hated them. The astigmatism, so I've been told, also makes Laser surgery not an option. IIRC my prescription isn't strong, I think it's the astigmatism that's the real issue.

Thanks for all replies. I'm resolved to see (1) Boots, and (2) An independent, so I can compare and contrast, then get some new specs. Cost is not a factor when it comes to my eyes.

Comment

I'll be honest, I've been wearing glasses for 25 years and I didn't understand much of that! I don't think I've ever done a Hess test and I don't know what PD is. Which makes me feel a bit stupid. I've simply left it to my trusty optician to worry about that. Then he retired. I felt a bit stranded, hence trying SpecSavers.

I have some astigmatism in one eye which makes contacts difficult (you need some special lens type which can't rotate). I tried contacts once for a week and simply hated them. The astigmatism, so I've been told, also makes Laser surgery not an option. IIRC my prescription isn't strong, I think it's the astigmatism that's the real issue.

Thanks for all replies. I'm resolved to see (1) Boots, and (2) An independent, so I can compare and contrast, then get some new specs. Cost is not a factor when it comes to my eyes.
                Stress that the glasses will be dedicated for computer use, as this makes a difference to the focal length you'd be comfortable with for computer distance (~1m for computer, ~1 foot for reading glasses). For normal (emmetropic) eyes that would be a +1 lens and your eyes would be relaxed or staring at infinity at that shorter range. They won't be much cop for reading though. The pupillary distance (PD) is more important when you have astigmatism, so that you look through the sweet spot in the lens.

Comment

About a year ago I went to SpecSavers for the first time. They prescribed some varifocals, first time I've had those too.

Apart from the fact that they never got the fit right (the damn things are forever falling off, esp. when I'm eating a meal they slide off), I find when I look at a screen I have to look up so I see the screen through the 'close up' bottom part of the lens.

So at the moment I'm using my old specs for close up screen work and reading, and the varifocals for everyday stuff such as driving, walking(!) and so on.

I think I'm going to go back to a proper optician/optometrist and get this sorted out. I'm sure the new specs have made my eyes worse too

Where do you folks (the few who don't have 20:20 vision ) get your specs? Do you use varis for screen work?

Unfortunately my eyes are so fliped up I can't have the laser thingy.

EDIT: Indeed my avatar shows me looking up. See, I told you

First pair I had was from Boots and it was like looking through a goldfish bowl. I got my money back. Years later I tried again at an independent optician and they were perfect. Now I am no conscious that I am using varifocals,

My advice is don’t buy cheap from, get the best.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I am surprised you have been told that the astigmatism rules out laser surgery, I believe Lasik treatment is often used with a primary purpose of correcting astigmatism.

your issue may arise from the fact that the astigmatism requires you to have cylindrical correction (your prescription is marked in it's CYL box I expect). A result of this is that in some cases effectively a different prescription would be required according to gaze (i.e. the visual centre moves). The greater the cylindrical correction the more likely this is. Often ones brain is able to compensate anyway.

You may have a much better chance with bifocals.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      The pupillary distance (PD) is more important when you have astigmatism, so that you look through the sweet spot in the lens.
                      WTF is one of those?
                      You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
                      Put a donk on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X