• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ow my eyes!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ow my eyes!"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Shouldn't have gone to SpecSavers mate

I went to vision express for my current pair. They were stupidly expensive, about 300 all in, but I needed them quickly as I'd lost my last pair on a ride at Thorpe Park - driving back that night was fun in my sun glasses. But I took out the insurance and I plan to what I did last time. When they get old and dated I'll 'sit on them' and then have them give me a new pair! So 300 suddenly is 150!

It's all just a con though. 10p worth of wire and the same in glass - that will be 100 pounds! When I went to spec savers sometime before, the guy doing the test told me he was self employed also but has to be to work there - yet they supply all his kit/customers/offices and dictate who he sees, when and how - so I reported the fecker to the IR. Well I think it was them but I couldn't really tell because of my new tulipty bins!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The Wiki article on presbyopia used to display a chart of age versus dioptres left in the visual system, which is now removed for some reason. The WayBack version has a very small version of it though, which you might have trouble seeing without your specs +2 equates to 50.
    Cheers TW. Tried accessing the Wiki site but my PC is a bit temperemental where Wikipedia is concerned for some reason. Anyway, gleaned enough from what you explained earlier. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Keratoconus can be caused by diabetes and certainly uncontrolled diabetes will cause fluctuations in eyesight especially to the extreme ends of prescription. It is worth going for tests.
    Yep, 6.6 mmol/l. GP told me 7.0 is the threshold for being diagnosed as diabetic.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lester View Post
    . My optician tracked down a lab in Germany that makes them in 1.74. Before that, they were from Japan.

Diagnosed with keratoconus about 8 years ago. Thinking seriously about giving Colagen Cross Linking a try cos the rate of change in my presecription recently has been pretty scary.

Currently
    R -0.25 / -9.75 / 91.5
    L -3.25 / -5.50 / 74

Was
    R -1.25 / -8.50 / 90
    L -4.25 / -3.50 / 74

only two years ago. My (previously) OKish left eye is pretty tulip now
    Keratoconus can be caused by diabetes and certainly uncontrolled diabetes will cause fluctuations in eyesight especially to the extreme ends of prescription. It is worth going for tests.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I fell for the Specsavers Varifocal trick too

Don't do it, its just so they can charge more money.

and I only wear glasses for driving at night or cinema i.e. not very short-sighted at all.

I feel foolish for getting ripped off.

For my occasional glasses usage I recommend glassesdirect.co.uk - you'll save a packet.
    Cheers sg. I'll bear it in mind.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Wow!! Do you give technical advice on "Silent Witness" TimberWolf??
    Pretty much spot on..............approaching 52 as it happens.
    I wouldn't complain, but at my age leching is a significant hobby, so anything that interferes with that pastime ought to be attended to.
    On the up side, I am finding that the proportion of females in the population that is actually worth "vetting" is rising exponentially though!
    The Wiki article on presbyopia used to display a chart of age versus dioptres left in the visual system, which is now removed for some reason. The WayBack version has a very small version of it though, which you might have trouble seeing without your specs +2 equates to 50.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I wouldn't complain, but at my age leching is a significant hobby, so anything that interferes with that pastime ought to be attended to.
    On the up side, I am finding that the proportion of females in the population that is actually worth "vetting" is rising exponentially though!
    I fell for the Specsavers Varifocal trick too

Don't do it, its just so they can charge more money.

and I only wear glasses for driving at night or cinema i.e. not very short-sighted at all.

I feel foolish for getting ripped off.

For my occasional glasses usage I recommend glassesdirect.co.uk - you'll save a packet.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It means you are slightly long sighted in both eyes (+1), have a small amount astigmatism that negates it slightly on one axis (cyl and axis), are presbyotic (+2) and are probably approaching 50, and have provided an additional prescription for intermediate distances (+1.25).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Lots of good stuff on here. Went for an eye test last week at Specsavers. Got my prescription from them and was told that I probably ought to have varifocals for most everyday situations. Have been using prescription reading glasses for PC work for a couple of years now and although they are fine for that, I have found that my vision without them now seems to have deteriorated quite markedly.
    My prescription reads

SPH CYL AXIS Near-Add Inter-Add
    R +1 -0.5 70.0 +2 +1.25
    L +1 -0.25 100.0 +2 +1.25

Whatever the fook that means!
    Was thinking of getting some cheapo ones off the net, but have now resolved to head to Boots instead. Any other recommendations from the bespectacled ones on here would be much appreciated.
    It means you are slightly long sighted in both eyes (+1), have a small amount astigmatism that negates it slightly on one axis (cyl and axis), are presbyotic (+2) and are probably approaching 50, and have provided an additional prescription for intermediate distances (+1.25).

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    -9.75 CYL Can't be too many labs that can make those.
    . My optician tracked down a lab in Germany that makes them in 1.74. Before that, they were from Japan.

Diagnosed with keratoconus about 8 years ago. Thinking seriously about giving Colagen Cross Linking a try cos the rate of change in my presecription recently has been pretty scary.

Currently
    R -0.25 / -9.75 / 91.5
    L -3.25 / -5.50 / 74

Was
    R -1.25 / -8.50 / 90
    L -4.25 / -3.50 / 74

only two years ago. My (previously) OKish left eye is pretty tulip now

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Lots of good stuff on here. Went for an eye test last week at Specsavers. Got my prescription from them and was told that I probably ought to have varifocals for most everyday situations. Have been using prescription reading glasses for PC work for a couple of years now and although they are fine for that, I have found that my vision without them now seems to have deteriorated quite markedly.
    My prescription reads

SPH CYL AXIS Near-Add Inter-Add
    R +1 -0.5 70.0 +2 +1.25
    L +1 -0.25 100.0 +2 +1.25

Whatever the fook that means!
    Was thinking of getting some cheapo ones off the net, but have now resolved to head to Boots instead. Any other recommendations from the bespectacled ones on here would be much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lester View Post
    FWIW, my advice would be to find an independent optician who you can trust. Eyesight isn't something I want hand over to the lowest cost provider.

Mrs Lester just paid £520 for new frames with varifocals. My most recent lenses (to cope with a -9.75 CYL astigmatism) cost me £335. And need replacing every 6/7 months .

Our optician loves us.
    -9.75 CYL Can't be too many labs that can make those.

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    FWIW, my advice would be to find an independent optician who you can trust. Eyesight isn't something I want hand over to the lowest cost provider.

Mrs Lester just paid £520 for new frames with varifocals. My most recent lenses (to cope with a -9.75 CYL astigmatism) cost me £335. And need replacing every 6/7 months .

Our optician loves us.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'll be honest, I've been wearing glasses for 25 years and I didn't understand much of that! I don't think I've ever done a Hess test and I don't know what PD is. Which makes me feel a bit stupid. I've simply left it to my trusty optician to worry about that. Then he retired. I felt a bit stranded, hence trying SpecSavers.

I have some astigmatism in one eye which makes contacts difficult (you need some special lens type which can't rotate). I tried contacts once for a week and simply hated them. The astigmatism, so I've been told, also makes Laser surgery not an option. IIRC my prescription isn't strong, I think it's the astigmatism that's the real issue.

Thanks for all replies. I'm resolved to see (1) Boots, and (2) An independent, so I can compare and contrast, then get some new specs. Cost is not a factor when it comes to my eyes.
    http://www.lexum.cz/index.php?p=en0301#as

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Where do you folks (the few who don't have 20:20 vision ) get your specs? Do you use varis for screen work?

Vision Express. Can't fault them.

And you get to sit in a darkened room with a fit optometrist inside your personal space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X