• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 under the Tories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Where's the "not bothered - I would simply rearrange my affairs so that I continue to pay the amount of tax I choose to" option?
    Andyw
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
      It's a hypothetical question, not an assumption.

IF they "clarified the legislation" so that everyone was paying a different rate of tax (equivalent to forcing you inside IR35 under the current regime), would you be happy?
      I'm not happy paying the amount of tax I do now,never mind in the future, particularly as tax money appears to be p1ssed up the wall by this shower of a gubmint...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

It's a hypothetical question, not an assumption.

IF they "clarified the legislation" so that everyone was paying a different rate of tax (equivalent to forcing you inside IR35 under the current regime), would you be happy?
        Surely anyone who would be happy about this because they are that concerned would be paying up now anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Surely anyone who would be happy about this because they are that concerned would be paying up now anyway?
          Possibly - I don't pay it now, but I do pay for insurance that covers me in case of an investigation and guilty verdict.

While there is doubt, I'm happy to do that. If there was no doubt, I wouldn't be too fussed about paying the extra tax, to be honest.

Comment

Tories have said that they would look to simplify tax legislation, and will look at IR35 as part of doing that.

If they "simplify" the tax system so that everyone is essentially classed as the equivalent of being inside IR35 now, do you think that would be better or worse?

Poll to follow.
            This is ******* tulip! Everyone IR35 caught!? So, you either can claim legitimate expenses as you can now, so what's the point of an IR35 clone or, you cant claim much more than you can now under IR35.

What's the point in any of that? Thick ****ers.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              This is ******* tulip! Everyone IR35 caught!? So, you either can claim legitimate expenses as you can now, so what's the point of an IR35 clone or, you cant claim much more than you can now under IR35.

What's the point in any of that? Thick ****ers.
              Sorry, I should rephrase the question:

For many years, certain groups have been calling for the scrapping of IR35 legislation.

IF (and it's hypothetical) ANY POLITICAL PARTY (which could mean any party in power, but only the Tories have said that they will look at IR35 so far, which is why I put their name in the thread title) were to scrap IR35 completely, but replace it with something where all income was taxed in the same way rather than differing conditional on source (i.e. dividends are taxed in the same manner as PAYE), that would make the system easier to enforce and "fairer". If that situation were to apply, would that make those who are calling for an IR35 rethink content?

So, you could still expense as you currently do, but any income you receive is taxed in the same manner regardless of source (as happens in other countries).

Comment

IF (and it's hypothetical) ANY POLITICAL PARTY ... were to scrap IR35 completely, but replace it with something where all income was taxed in the same way rather than differing conditional on source (i.e. dividends are taxed in the same manner as PAYE), that would make the system easier to enforce and "fairer". If that situation were to apply, would that make those who are calling for an IR35 rethink content?
                You mean ALL dividends are taxed as personal income?

That includes shareholders in the stock market, and shareholders of private companies. That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  You mean ALL dividends are taxed as personal income?

That includes shareholders in the stock market, and shareholders of private companies. That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?
                  All income is taxed in the same way - so if that is income to a company, then they pay corporation tax on it; if that is an individual then they pay income tax on it.

It works in France.

Comment

All income is taxed in the same way - so if that is income to a company, then they pay corporation tax on it; if that is an individual then they pay income tax on it.

It works in France.
                    But what about the NICs? That's the big problem with IR35, not income tax.

You can't load NICs (employment taxes) on a personal stock market shareholder.

Comment

A big part of the problem is that NI is a stealthy and sneaky tax, so it's not surprising there are unintended consequences and complications.

Comment

Working...
                      X