• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 under the Tories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You can't load NICs (employment taxes) on a personal stock market shareholder.
    Why on earth not? Just abolish NICs and raise income tax. Job done. I can't see what the problem is. It doesn't matter where the income came from, it's still income.

Then we can avoid this whole IR35 charade
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles
      You can't load NICs (employment taxes) on a personal stock market shareholder.
      Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Why on earth not?
      Because personal shareholders in the stock market (et al) are not employers or employees.
      Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Just abolish NICs and raise income tax. Job done. I can't see what the problem is....
      You can't? Reorganising the whole of the labyrinthine UK personal tax system just in order to neuter IR35 is hardly likely, is it.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        This is what really tees me off. You're running a company, you ought to have some idea how it all works.
        Maybe you didn't read the part about me operating outside of IR35, aka IR35 not really a big issue for me. If it was you can be sure I would know exactly what I can and can not claim.

I would imagine most people running companies don't look at what you can and cannot claim if you are caught by IR35. But cheers for the slap down

Even inside IR35 you can deduct business expenses: the only one you can't have is training (because that's your employer's cost, even though you don't have one. Go figure). The 5% is deducted from YourCo's gross CTable income, i.e. after expenses and salary costs. You pay PAYE and NICs on the remaining 95%. Despite what it says, the 5% is nothing to do with expenses, it's simply an allowance becuase you're running a business. Except of course the whole point of IR35, in NL world, is that you aren't. That's why it's such an abortion of a law.
        ah, so there are some restrictions...

Reading this makes it sounds like if you wish to spend more than the 5% allows you are going to be found wanting. A restriction not in place unless you are IR35 caught.

For example, lets say you wanted to take on a office.

http://www.ir35calc.co.uk/ir35_expenses_rule.aspx

I am not saying you are wrong. You are almost always right on these things and I value your opinion. The advice out there is hardly crystal if what you are saying is right.

Anyway, google "the potted guide to IR35" and have a read. It might help.
        Thanks for the advice. Might read it out of interest.
        Last edited by dx4100; 31 March 2010, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Reorganising the whole of the labyrinthine UK personal tax system just in order to neuter IR35 is hardly likely, is it.
          Improbable to say the least.

Plus of course a significant number of MP's and all UK Governments irrespective of party have a vested interest in keeping tax legislation as complex as conceivably possible. It funds an entire accountancy and legal profession which many MPs either come from or get fat Directorships in and if it's complicated then many tax payers wind up paying too much tax so revenues are boosted.
          Complex tax law is also wonderful for HMRC as it allows the various managers to have nice empires of drones so boosting their pay grades and Honours list awards.

From a Governmental point of view ludicrously complicated tax law is a pure win.

Comment

If you think the Tories will get rid of IR35 you're living in la-la land.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
              ah, so there are some restrictions...

Reading this makes it sounds like if you wish to spend more than the 5% allows you are going to be found wanting. A restriction not in place unless you are IR35 caught.

For example, lets say you wanted to take on a office.
              IR35 does not prevent you operating your business in whatever manner you see fit. It does not stop you retaining profits. It does not stop you paying dividends. It does not stop you employing people. It does not stop you doing that leaflet drop or taking that office.

What it does do is affect taxation consequences of those actions.

The fact is that you could run a business whose work was largely caught by IR35 in exactly the same way as any other (though you would be mad).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                IR35 does not prevent you operating your business in whatever manner you see fit. It does not stop you retaining profits. It does not stop you paying dividends. It does not stop you employing people. It does not stop you doing that leaflet drop or taking that office.

What it does do is affect taxation consequences of those actions.

The fact is that you could run a business whose work was largely caught by IR35 in exactly the same way as any other (though you would be mad).
                IR35 continues to confuse the hell out of me. Then again, the only thing I do know about it for certain, that was the whole point.

Comment

Working...
                X