• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The more we know the more we are disappointed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    This case makes a mockery of the law and a mockery over real rape cases.
    Not really, it makes a mockery of the advice he was given.

Never, ever plead guilty when there is a chance reasonable people would let you off.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Friend’s son was 16yo when he made friends with a 15yo daughter of a family from hell who were always in trouble. The couple were discovered heavy petting by family from hell who went to the police. The CPS prosecuted for “Attempted Rape” (Rape only because the girl was under 16). When the case came to court the girl was 16 and he was 17. He was advised to plead guilty in order not to put through both the girl and himself through cross-examination. He got a six month suspended sentence that on appeal by the CPS led to a six month custodial sentence and an entry on the sex register.

This case makes a mockery of the law and a mockery over real rape cases.
      Indeed. Judges are employed to do what it says on the tin; apply the law ‘judiciously’. A judge with a brain and a conscience would have thrown this out of court. The CPS are obviously on a point scoring exercise too, and this kind of stupidity negates their purpose. And the CPS going to appeal for a tougher sentence? Disgusting; they should be locked up.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Never, ever plead guilty when there is a chance reasonable people would let you off.
        In this case the judge and should could have intervened because there's no way a 17 year old could know whether the advice was good.

This is precisely the kind of case I meant. Frankly the CPS should be prosecuted for wasting the court's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

If he pleaded not guilty; the prosecution would have cross-examined both the girl and the boy (who were still friends). The cross examination would have gone into intimate details of what they were doing, what the state of arousal was at the time and so on; and all this evidence would have been given in front of both families and the public.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If he pleaded not guilty; the prosecution would have cross-examined both the girl and the boy (who were still friends). The cross examination would have gone into intimate details of what they were doing, what the state of arousal was at the time and so on; and all this evidence would have been given in front of both families and the public.
            WTF did the CPS think they were doing?

Comment

Yes, and he would likely be a free man without a blemish on his character.

Hell of a sacrifice to make.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                As someone said, it's a terrible thing to fall into the hands of The Authorities.

Comment

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Acting on a complaint from the underage girl's parents.

The young lad was badly advised, clearly.

Comment

Working...
                    X