• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spring forward, fall back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My clock is one of those radio controlled ones that re-sets itself. Its great, it even tells you the phases of the moon - currently waxing Gibbous in case you're interested.
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      My clock is one of those radio controlled ones that re-sets itself. Its great, it even tells you the phases of the moon - currently waxing Gibbous in case you're interested.
      Hmm.. probably was a good idea to skip the diving invite for this weekend, then...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've got an alarm clock like that, except instead of the phases it shows how full the moon is. My theory is that there's something in the water here, as full moon definitely brings out the local loonies and it's time to stay at home. This feature of the alarm clock is rather useful.

The computer and my telly set top box both made the change at 2 am. Except for the microwave*, oven and my wristwatch, everything else switches automatically.

* I don't know what it is about the wretched microwave, but I need to get the instructions out twice a year (and when there's a power cut) to change the time on that.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          (It seems obvious that one should be able to move the clock both forwards and backwards, yet moving a digital clock embedded in a consumer appliance backwards is often not possible; if this is due to a limitation of the underlying hardware, Zeity might be able to explain it.)
          Subject to Zeity's input, it's probably down to saving 10 cents of manufacturing costs on another button.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've got an alarm/DAB radio thingy at home that resets automatically..... which I use every day (well when I am there)... I set my wrist watch by this.

I have also got a few dozen other thingys (DVDs, Ovens, Microwaves, Hi-Fis, Clocks etc) that possibly an hour out for 1/2 the year or more likely are never correct cos I never use them to find the time.......

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              I think that here it goes forward at 2. Otherwise the pubs would have to shut an hour earlier
              I was up a club in the early 90's where the Police stormed in at 1:00am to shut the bar, they insisted it was now 2:00am which of course it was due to the clocks changing. And they wondered why they had a problem relating to the youth?

The club owner made a point of staying open till 3:00am in the autumn.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Railway labourers working the night shift when the clocks change get paid the same regardless of whether it is 7 hours (spring) or 9 hours (autumn). No-one wants to to get the latter shift, of coure.

... - currently waxing Gibbous in case you're interested.
                Is Gibbous one of your guinea pigs? It seems a bit cruel.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Is Gibbous one of your guinea pigs? It seems a bit cruel.
                  <shudder>.

Still, easier to barbecue, I suppose.
                  If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    The computer and my telly set top box both made the change at 2 am. Except for the microwave*, oven and my wristwatch, everything else switches automatically.
                    One of my wristwatches (Ok the only one that works at the moment) has a Daylight saving button. All I do is set the time and set this function to "On" and it automatically advances.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
                      <shudder>.

Still, easier to barbecue, I suppose.
                      Iwas more worried that "Gibbous" was a part of female anatomy that my wife hadn't told me about...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X