• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cider to go up 10%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    a) Weston's make genuine cider.

b) Weston's is the only cider maker in the UK using oak barrels for aging.

c) Weston's make many supermarket own-brand ciders.

d) As the man on the Weston's tour told us: "Buy any supermarket own-brand cider, made in the UK, that was aged in oak, and it was made by Weston's. So if you are looking for cider in the supermarket, buy their own oak-aged cider and not ours - it is the same stuff but cheaper." What to look out for is the %age of alcohol - use that to determine which Weston's cider it is.

HTH

But I make my own scrumpy from apples and cider from kits.
    Thatchers make cider using oak barrels (depending on the variety), if you visit the shop I think you can still get a 5 gallon container of real scrumpy.

There's a proper Cider farm near me where you can pay a tenner to sit in a field and drink as much as you like, the farmer also provides plates of bread and cheese. I'm not sure if his operation is entirely legal but it's a good night out on a balmy summers evening... as long as you don't have work the next day.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

According to the BBC Radio 2 news, The Wurzels have complained about the government taxing the only pleasure to be had in the West Country.

They must have forgotten about "her 42 acres"...
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Tried Weston's Old Rosie earlier this evening.

Quite delicious, but I can see why real cider is less popular as both a one off drink and a night out refreshment. It's too strong at 7.3 to 7.5 percent to just have the one with a meal, which also messes up the "can i drive?" question. With a beer it's a couple of hours until the alcohol has gone. With real cider, 3 to 4 hours.

Comment

White Lightning £1.49 for 2 litres yesterday. Today the chavs and winos can get it for £1.69.

So no more Chavs and no more winos.

Well done Gordon and Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Lightweight
            The reason I was throwing up was due to the beer, wine and then "a good idea to finish of with spirits" mixture.

I never drank the cider. Some cheap sod who hated beer always brought it.

And it was always in those large litre bottles.

The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the pub and I threw up. Then I started drinking beer.............

There were lots of offers on in the supermarket this evening. On every kind of alcohol. There was no fruit or veg though.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the pub and I threw up.
              Lightweight. The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the school ball and I threw up all over my parents' kitchen. Repeatedly

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Then I started drinking beer.............
              Wise move. I should have stuck with what I knew best... and since then, I have

Comment

Working...
              X