• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cider to go up 10%

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cider to go up 10%"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the pub and I threw up.
    Lightweight. The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the school ball and I threw up all over my parents' kitchen. Repeatedly

Then I started drinking beer.............
    Wise move. I should have stuck with what I knew best... and since then, I have

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Lightweight
    The reason I was throwing up was due to the beer, wine and then "a good idea to finish of with spirits" mixture.

I never drank the cider. Some cheap sod who hated beer always brought it.

And it was always in those large litre bottles.

The last time I actually drank cheap cider was when I was 17 in the pub and I threw up. Then I started drinking beer.............

There were lots of offers on in the supermarket this evening. On every kind of alcohol. There was no fruit or veg though.

Leave a comment:

• bodnobal
    replied
    White Lightning £1.49 for 2 litres yesterday. Today the chavs and winos can get it for £1.69.

So no more Chavs and no more winos.

Well done Gordon and Ali.

Leave a comment:

• larson
    replied
    Tried Weston's Old Rosie earlier this evening.

Quite delicious, but I can see why real cider is less popular as both a one off drink and a night out refreshment. It's too strong at 7.3 to 7.5 percent to just have the one with a meal, which also messes up the "can i drive?" question. With a beer it's a couple of hours until the alcohol has gone. With real cider, 3 to 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    According to the BBC Radio 2 news, The Wurzels have complained about the government taxing the only pleasure to be had in the West Country.

They must have forgotten about "her 42 acres"...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    a) Weston's make genuine cider.

b) Weston's is the only cider maker in the UK using oak barrels for aging.

c) Weston's make many supermarket own-brand ciders.

d) As the man on the Weston's tour told us: "Buy any supermarket own-brand cider, made in the UK, that was aged in oak, and it was made by Weston's. So if you are looking for cider in the supermarket, buy their own oak-aged cider and not ours - it is the same stuff but cheaper." What to look out for is the %age of alcohol - use that to determine which Weston's cider it is.

HTH

But I make my own scrumpy from apples and cider from kits.
    Thatchers make cider using oak barrels (depending on the variety), if you visit the shop I think you can still get a 5 gallon container of real scrumpy.

There's a proper Cider farm near me where you can pay a tenner to sit in a field and drink as much as you like, the farmer also provides plates of bread and cheese. I'm not sure if his operation is entirely legal but it's a good night out on a balmy summers evening... as long as you don't have work the next day.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Real Cider has to be unpasteurised, which I understand as being a no-no in a modern supply chain.

Is anything you get in Tesco going to be "real" by the CAMRA definition?
    It's called bottled conditioned:

Google - Bottle Conditioning

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by larson View Post
    CAMRA guide to Cider/Perry: Just drink ale.

Aspall is knocked out of the contest it would seem, although Weston's isn't mentioned:
    Real Cider has to be unpasteurised, which I understand as being a no-no in a modern supply chain.

Is anything you get in Tesco going to be "real" by the CAMRA definition?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by larson View Post
    Any recommendations for decent 'real' cider that can be found on supermarket shelves?
    a) Weston's make genuine cider.

b) Weston's is the only cider maker in the UK using oak barrels for aging.

c) Weston's make many supermarket own-brand ciders.

d) As the man on the Weston's tour told us: "Buy any supermarket own-brand cider, made in the UK, that was aged in oak, and it was made by Weston's. So if you are looking for cider in the supermarket, buy their own oak-aged cider and not ours - it is the same stuff but cheaper." What to look out for is the %age of alcohol - use that to determine which Weston's cider it is.

HTH

But I make my own scrumpy from apples and cider from kits.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I haven't had a can of Tennents super since I drank 6 as a teenager and nearly choked on my own vomit.

I can vouch it cleanes up stonework just as well as sandblasting.

There's a halls of residence with a nicely bleached line down the wall where I once puked up out of the window following the room going spinny after a few cans of the stuff.

It was still there when I revisited the place about 5 years after.

Leave a comment:

• larson
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    All I really want from a government

1) The ability to manage the countries finances without screwing it up and putting your hand in the till

2) MP's whose interest is in the good of the constitutents which voted for them and not on lining their own pockets and furthering their career.

3) To not spend my money telling me what I can and cannot do with in the confines of my home or car where my actions are legal and do not cause harm to others.

4) To stop taxing the average man on the street to the point of bancruptcy and then give that very same tax money to rich for favours or to the chavs to make more pointless babies.

I have a feeling it ain't gonna happen though.

I was impressed that, for the most part, Lib Dems haven't been nicking money left, right and centre, unlike the tories and labour MPs. On the other hand, I can see if the Lib Dems get in, they'll perhaps pander to big businesses, in the way tories do. I'd say they're worth a shot, as I'm certainly sick of the way things pan to/from labour to tory every few years, meaning those two parties are entirely comfortable to not perform, safe in the knowledge they'll be back in within a few years anyway. After Thatcher and Major the tories knew they'd be out of the running for many a year.

I'll be voting for them with my UK vote, and prob stick with SNP for Scottish vote, as, aside from the expected f-ups, SNP seems to be doing ok. Plus, once the independence thing is voted against in a referendum, they can continue to do a reasonable job of governing.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    And Cider tastes like vomit. Probably because I still remember throwing up at parties, then waking up the next day to find that half empty bottle of cheap 2L cider that was always left........
    Lightweight

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    All I really want from a government

1) The ability to manage the countries finances without screwing it up and putting your hand in the till

2) MP's whose interest is in the good of the constitutents which voted for them and not on lining their own pockets and furthering their career.

3) To not spend my money telling me what I can and cannot do with in the confines of my home or car where my actions are legal and do not cause harm to others.

4) To stop taxing the average man on the street to the point of bancruptcy and then give that very same tax money to rich for favours or to the chavs to make more pointless babies.

I have a feeling it ain't gonna happen though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    2%:
    Thanks I got mine of a paper.

Not impressed though.

Anyway putting the price up won't prevent binge drinking it will make it more expensive.

Plus more pubs will close.

And Cider tastes like vomit. Probably because I still remember throwing up at parties, then waking up the next day to find that half empty bottle of cheap 2L cider that was always left........
    Last edited by SueEllen; 24 March 2010, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• larson
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I rather like Westons although, as you point out, it can be rather nuclear. The Organic in box is a bit of a bargain which is normally knocking about the shelves of Tesco. If you can find Old Rosey in a local pub then a good night is guaranteed.

CAMRA does have a guide to cider and perry which can be found here:

CAMERA Cider/Perry Guide
    CAMRA guide to Cider/Perry: Just drink ale.

Aspall is knocked out of the contest it would seem, although Weston's isn't mentioned:

Below is a list of the most common ciders that CAMRA does not recognise as being real:

Please note that this list is not necessarily complete.

* Addlestones
    * Aspall
    * Brothers
    * Bulmers
    * Diamond White
    * Dry Blackthorn
    * Gaymer's
    * Jacques
    * K Cider
    * Kopparberg
    * Magners
    * Merrydown