• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about Quattro Audi's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive an automatic Subaru SUV with a 250bhp motor on normal road tyres. Never had a moment's problems in the snow. Only got the traction control light on once, and that was accelerating out of the hotel on sheet ice. Took me almost three seconds to get it straight again...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      I drive an automatic Subaru SUV with a 250bhp motor on normal road tyres. Never had a moment's problems in the snow. Only got the traction control light on once, and that was accelerating out of the hotel on sheet ice. Took me almost three seconds to get it straight again...
      Nah you don't understand. Even though the Subaru is the ideal car for DP's situation, he wouldn't have one as he feels it doesn't make up for his insecurities.
      He feels such a man in a Beemer, don't you know
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Were they any good in the thick snow we had recently?

I mean the BMW 3 Series was hopeless. Even a small amount of snow and with the traction control on, the car would refuse to even try and move and with the traction control off, the car would be stuck hopelessly due to the heavy engine at the front and a very light weight rear end pusing the car deeper into the snow.

I'm thinking that a 4-wheel drive A4/A5 might be better but only if they can cope with the snow easily.
        Generally, 4 wheel drives only have tyres good enough for on road driving. The 4 wheel drive both pulls and pushes the car around a corner so making it more stable, makes it grip the road better so is therefore safer.

A 4 wheel drive should perform better in light snow than a rear wheel car. It should also perfom better than a front wheel drive car which in turn, will perform better in slippery conditions than a rear wheel drive.

However, in heavy snow, whether you have a 4 wheel drive, rear or front wheel drive, you're only going to keep moving if you fit snow chains.

And even then, if the roads are blocked by people abandoning their two wheel drives, even snow chains aint gonna help you!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

DP = Drives Pathetically?

I've got a BMW - an M3 in fact - and I managed to do 35 miles a day, much of it on untreated country roads. Perhaps it's not a new car you need ..?
          If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            It's not about driving, it's living on the side of a very steep hill that never gets gritted or cleared and having a very very steep and long driveway to the house.

Car wouldn't even make it off the drive as it was like trying to drive up the side of a mountain.
            If you have a sufficiently flash "small tractor" type lawnmower (and I'm guessing you do) you can fit a snowplough and grit dispenser to it and have one of the servants get up early and grit the drive.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Even normal M+S winter tyres or even all season tyres make a big difference in wintry conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
                I've got a BMW - an M3 in fact - and I managed to do 35 miles a day, much of it on untreated country roads. Perhaps it's not a new car you need ..?
                You hero!

You drove an M3 up a 40 degree incline in 15 inches of snow.

http://morpeth.journallive.co.uk/201...rd-by-new.html

What a guy!

Where's the ****** smiley?
                Last edited by DimPrawn; 17 March 2010, 12:54.

Comment

Well to be fair driving round and round Swindon's roundabout in rush hour wearing your gold chain, driving gloves, Rado watch and dark shades isn't calculated to improve your driving skills.

Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Were you facing the right direction for any of those 35 miles? .
                    My car uses the same OEM tyres as the E46 M3 and was terrible in the snow. Managed to drive it for quite a while but even tippy toe round corners resulted in pant changing moments

Comment

Many years back I had a Sierra GLSi. Great fun in the snow that was, instant tailslides no matter how gentle you were with the throttle. That got swapped for a Volvo T5R, partly becuase I thought a car built in Sweden would understand bad weather. Nope, equally hopless - no traction at all in bad weather (come to that, it would spin its front wheels in the rain.... in third gear... at 60 mph... )

Ever since then I stick to 4WDs.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X