• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's nice to live in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olly View Post
    Any particular recommended areas within my 300K budget? Semi with 3 beds and a garage in a safe enough hood where its contents have a chance of being there in the morning.

Could shrink it to 2 bed but would def prefer 3 beds and a box room for study / junk / guests.
    Croydon or Mitcham.

Only because you can find something for 280-290k. The rest can be used to buy personal weapons to defend yourself and your property.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Richmond and Twickenham look like good suggestions to me. Richmond prices might be a bit strong but it's a nice place to be plus you could bike in from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
        Richmond and Twickenham look like good suggestions to me. Richmond prices might be a bit strong but it's a nice place to be plus you could bike in from there.
        Mmmmm......

The OP wants to buy a semi with a garage. You can't get that in those areas for the price he wants to pay.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
          I think we're looking at:

1. Reading
          2. Basingstoke (for all its sins it does tick a heck of a lot boxes)
          3=. End of the M3
          3=. Winchester
          4. South coast somewhere - probably Bournemouth (rent room in London)
          5. Erm....I can't rank them from then on as would need to fully research local possibilities. Can you think of any pockets of business? Cardiff? Bath? Bristol? Brum perhaps? York? I just don't know!
          Let's be honest, if Reading and Basingstoke are topping your chart then the description "nice to live" is hardly appropriate somehow.
          Your idea of renting a room in London during the week seems the best option to me. For quality of life at the weekend get yourself down to Devon or Dorset and give yourself something to look forward to. Nights out in Basingrad? You'd have more fun in a coma!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Mmmmm......

The OP wants to buy a semi with a garage. You can't get that in those areas for the price he wants to pay.
            Definitely not, anything Surrey way within 20-40 mins commute is premium property.

Used to live out that way and it has escalated since.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Let's be honest, if Reading and Basingstoke are topping your chart then the description "nice to live" is hardly appropriate somehow.
              Your idea of renting a room in London during the week seems the best option to me. For quality of life at the weekend get yourself down to Devon or Dorset and give yourself something to look forward to. Nights out in Basingrad? You'd have more fun in a coma!!
              Listen to shaunbhoy, he's talking sense. Forget the Thames Valley, it's a load of cr@p (with the possible exception of Marlow and Henley). Maidenhead, Slough, Basingstoke, Reading, High Wycombe, are just soooooo awful. Sure the houses are "cheap", but that's for a reason. THEY CAN'T SELL THEM!!!

Go Kent, Surrey, Hampshire, Wiltshire, or even further afield such as Dorset, Norfolk, or Suffolk.

The Thames Valley is horrid. I lived there for 13 years, I know. Save yourself. RUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
              X