• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

more LHC woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Funny how someone who makes a living from technology all of a sudden becomes a Luddite.
    My technology does not carry a risk of turning Earth into lifeless ball floating in cold space.

I guess one needs a small amount of brain cells to see the difference in terms of risk between what I do and what they do. Also cost of my work is not paid by taxpayers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      My technology does not carry a risk of turning Earth into lifeless ball floating in cold space.
      No, but it risks turning CUK's inhabitants into the living dead.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        No, but it risks turning CUK's inhabitants into the living dead.
        This is the risk I am prepared to take, nobody would notice the difference in terms of quality of posts anyway...

Comment

You can't say it for sure - what they are trying to do is unexplored and they in their own words trying to recreate conditions that existed before or around Big Bang - this certainly does not sound like some cuddly fluffy animals.

I say give each of those bozos a million dollars to retire and write books how evil Govt did not allow them to conduct their research. Beats turning earth into new Sun or a blackhole
          Even if it did create a black hole (extremely unlikely), the chances of it staying open are extremely unlikely cubed.

The potential benefits of this research FAR outweigh the risk of gravitational annihilation.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            The potential benefits of this research FAR outweigh the risk of gravitational annihilation.
            The risks are pretty clear - death of all humanity before it went proper to space.

What benefits EXACTLY?

Comment

What benefits EXACTLY?
              Definites:
              New techniques for analysis of terabytes of data

Maybes:
              Understanding of the basis of sub-atomic particles

Long shots:
              Free Energy

These are just for starters - there's probably 5-10 other reasons in each category.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by CERN
                Though considerably higher than the energies of previous accelerators, these energies are still far below those of the highest-energy cosmic-ray collisions that are observed regularly on Earth.
                Collisions between particles with this sort of energy happen all the time. The point of the LHC is to let us control them and observe them in detail so that we can study them and learn from them, not to do something that hasn't occurred for 14 billion years and may result in the destruction of the known universe.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Definites:
                  New techniques for analysis of terabytes of data
                  Just terabytes? FFS, SKA deals with PETABYTES now.

Comment

Just terabytes? FFS, SKA deals with PETABYTES now.
                    FFS is that the best you can do?

Comment

it already has done all these things you all fear so much

you are just stuck in the event horizon and have not noticed.

Comment

Working...
                      X