• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorists thankful for deflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by insight14
    I don't get your point dude, bombs have always been fairly cheap to make. Fertiliser and HCL are common consumables in several industries. What has this to do with the police having more power?
    Oh don't expect to find any logic in his reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
      We should not take the viewpoint that the police are inherently evil
      I'm not. There was a reason I used the phrase absolute power. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. (This is why not even Parliament has or even should have absolute power.)

we must listen to all requests
      And they are listened to. They are contemplated very carefully and, as Parliament decided, watered down those powers considerably or through them out completely.

You then call those deliberators (mostly Conservatives) liberal tree huggers !

The notion that freedom is often considered as paramount as life itself is repeatedly totally lost on you. The notion that freedoms and legal protections were won very hard and should not be squandered in such a cavalier fashion is totally lost on you.

The fact that hundreds of thousands of free people were prepared to both risk and sacrifice their own lives to protect freedom and the freedom of future generations is repeatedly lost on you.

That is very sad.

Again - it is for the free people to say when they want their own freedoms and legal protections removed - not some jumped up self serving Metropolitan Police Commissioner with ill placed personal political ambitions.

Comment

Originally posted by ALM
        Oh don't expect to find any logic in his reasoning.
        Hey our resident Biblical scholar makes an appearance. Good day to you sir. I must applaud you on the coherence of all of your arguments.
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Hey Thicko,

Please read the BBC article again. Then read your posts. Then work out where you've gone wrong.
          You really are becoming the laughing stock on this board.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

When you say bombs are fairly easy to make - do you not take into the account the potency or the explosive capacity of the bomb? Certainly if the materials that can cause significant damage are becoming cheaper to acquire then surely we would want the police to have the necessary powers to prevent such atrocities.
            Dude, your article above doesn't say that the materials are becoming cheaper. At all. Ammonium Nitrate (fertiliser) was used in the Oklahoma Bombing (mid-90's?) and the 2002 Bali bombings - two fairly significant bombing I'm sure you'll agree.

Now C4 hasn't become any cheaper, nor weapons grade explosives - and certainly not to the level of "several hundred pounds" as described by the article.

I still don't understand what powers you want to give the police in this instance that will help against terrorism.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              Hey Thicko,

Please read the BBC article again. Then read your posts. Then work out where you've gone wrong.
              You really are becoming the laughing stock on this board.
              You know sasguru you have made it your life's work to be anti-Chico. Why do I take so much of your time and thoughts. What is it about me the fascinates you so? Like a young teenager who has a crush, you resort to the only form of communication that works for you - mockery and cynical responses. As you know God has great plans for you however like any other invitation you need to RSVP and hopefully turn up.
              Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

It's all a moot point anyway. As highlighted in the "slippery slope" thread, as of 1st January the police can now arrest anybody, anytime, anywhere, as long as the arresting officer thinks it is "necessary".

To all intents and purposes, on 01/01/2006 the UK became a de facto police state.

Still, I'm sure all those terrified of bearded fanatics hiding behind every tree will feel a lot safer now. Possibly from the inside of a police cell.

Comment

You know sasguru you have made it your life's work to be anti-Chico. Why do I take so much of your time and thoughts. What is it about me the fascinates you so? Like a young teenager who has a crush, you resort to the only form of communication that works for you - mockery and cynical responses. As you know God has great plans for you however like any other invitation you need to RSVP and hopefully turn up.
                  Don't flatter yourself. Its just that you're the best troll on the board.
                  Now, have you worked out why this thread is a pile of poo, yet?

Hint: read Insight's posts.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by insight14
                    Dude, your article above doesn't say that the materials are becoming cheaper. At all. Ammonium Nitrate (fertiliser) was used in the Oklahoma Bombing (mid-90's?) and the 2002 Bali bombings - two fairly significant bombing I'm sure you'll agree.

Now C4 hasn't become any cheaper, nor weapons grade explosives - and certainly not to the level of "several hundred pounds" as described by the article.

I still don't understand what powers you want to give the police in this instance that will help against terrorism.
                    So are you disputing what the report says? How do you know that these materials have not become cheaper? Are you saying the London bombs did not cost several hundred pounds?

As to the point about police powers, well if they made a request and had evidence to suggest that if they had additional powers it may have prevented that specific attack then those powers should be given.
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

sasguru - would you like a statistical analysis of all your posts that mention me going back to the old board? What are you my online stalker?
                      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Working...
                      X