• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The Swiss could make a killing by fixing their VAT at EU VAT – 1 percentage point, as could the Turks and many others.
    Turkey and Switzerland are outside of EU for VAT purposes surely?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      There should be one rate of VAT on all items across Europe.
      No countries should be free to tax how they like. If Europe is going to have flexible labour markets and attract business then countries should be free to compete. This stops them being complacement and they will understand that the quid pro quo of inefficient government is that business and jobs will go to the most efficient economies.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Turkey and Switzerland are outside of EU for VAT purposes surely?
        They're outside the EU full stop.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          No countries should be free to tax how they like. If Europe is going to have flexible labour markets and attract business then countries should be free to compete. This stops them being complacement and they will understand that the quid pro quo of inefficient government is that business and jobs will go to the most efficient economies.
          whs + a lot

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            No countries should be free to tax how they like.
            I am in agreement with you!

Next time consider that proper punctuation can actually be helpful to convey the meaning you intended.

Comment

In which case their VAT levels are irrelevant as if you buy stuff from abroad you are supposed to pay VAT on it.

Comment

Isn't Switzerland in the free trade area?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

In which case their VAT levels are irrelevant as if you buy stuff from abroad you are supposed to pay VAT on it.
                  Irrelevant, except for the long land borders that make smuggling v easy indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Isn't Switzerland in the free trade area?
                    Yep, it's in the European Free Trade Area, but they can set their taxes as they like.

Comment

Irrelevant, except for the long land borders that make smuggling v easy indeed.
                      Smugglers take chances and won't do it for small %-tage, I'd say risk factors would demand at least 5-10% premium, it's the cross border legit trade that's the issue - high UK taxes on booze/smokes create anomaly of people going to France to buy those items. It's total bollox and can only be solved by having unified tax system.

Comment

Working...
                      X