• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lord Ashcroft - what a patriot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I understand it, he pays UK tax on his UK income. Which is exactly the same as the majority of us.

It's a non-story. I wish the TV people would stop going on about it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      What is the difference between a "genuine business" and a business?
      It depends on the trading status of the company in question - Bearwood Corporate Services has an unclear trading status, which is why the £3million in donations is being scrutinised by the Electoral Commission.

If he wasn't a non-dom, he could have donated the money directly (I believe) rather than through a shell company.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        As I understand it, he pays UK tax on his UK income. Which is exactly the same as the majority of us.

It's a non-story. I wish the TV people would stop going on about it.
        I thought that the majority of us pay UK tax on worldwide income?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Ones duty in these difficult times is to help fund the resistance at home anyway one can in the hope of overthrowing the oppressive government.
          That's my reasoning too.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I am much more scared by the fact that Scarghill and people like him are doms

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              And who has a genuine business in the UK, through which he donates to the Labour party. And who has always been open and honest about his tax affairs.
              He doesn't pay all of his tax here - and he's a Privy Cllr. How is that not wrong?

He's also VERY young for a PCllr. Are we to believe his donations didn't go someway to making that come to pass? How was it based on "fairness"?

...who has a genuine business in the UK, through which he donates to the Labour party.
              Nope, individual donations from an individual who doesn't pay his "fair share" of tax in the UK.

...who does not have a genuine business in the UK, through which he donates to the Conservative party (hence the investigation into his donations) and who has constantly hidden his tax status behind the line "I have met the conditions that I set out..."
              What investigation?
              Bearwood is a legimate (loss making) company.

To take your last point further - there are countless Labour cronies who have stayed within the rules but tried to gain maximum advantage from the UK tax system. I really don't see that it's any different.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                What is the difference between a "genuine business" and a business?
                I'm sure AtW could help you on that one.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  What investigation?
                  The Electoral Commission has been investigating £3million in donations made from Bearwood since October 2008, because the trading status of the company is unclear.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

This is a smokescreen to divert attention from Broons own non-doms, I suspect.

It also appears, on Guido, that TCB (Blair) is rapidly turning himself into a non-dom too. A pretty damning indictment of a current government that the previous PM doesn't want to live here!

Comment

The Electoral Commission has been investigating £3million in donations made from Bearwood since October 2008, because the trading status of the company is unclear.
                      They've taken 18 months so far - how long does it take?

They're a valid company at Companies House - what more is there?
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X