• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open University

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Please give the first three legal precedents they taught you?
    We don't get onto precedent and case law until later on. ATM we are looking at how and why laws come about and how they evolve from the social and moral rules of a society before becoming formalized into what would be recognizable as Law and the differences between Social, Moral and Legal rules.

We are are also looking at interpretation of the law and it's meaning. Just finished the first piece of course work which was to provide advice on the consequences of a series of actions in the context of the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm doing Mandarin for beginners with the OU.
      Loopy Loo

Comment

Hmm, I may have a look to see if they do any courses on paleontology.....

<podddles off to google OU >
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Half way through a PPE degree started 2007. Taking a break from it at the moment; young family and new contract mean I don't have the will this year. Fully intend to finish it tho...

If you're happy to not watch the dirge on TV in the evening and read instead, then it's really quite easy
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            I started an MSc Computing for Commerce back in 2002.
            Some of the modules were really pretty out of date and it wasn't overly impressed.
            That's the problem with some of their courses.

You have to find out how long the course has been running and whether it's due to be updated in the next year or so otherwise you get stuck with out of date material.

That coupled with my inability to study unless an exam is looming 3 days away or I have a cute study partner meant I dropped it.
            That says more about your study habits and attention span than anything else.

Also it was the company paying and I would have needed to pay the rest out of my own pocket and 400 quid for a few books was too much at the time.
            You obviously had free education all the way through otherwise you would have realised that £400 isn't much.

MBA on the horizon but I'll do it full time I think
            Rather you than me.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
              I'm doing Mandarin for beginners with the OU.
              Thanks for mentioning that, it is something I want to learn and never thought of trying the OU. Living out in the sticks I have been trying to find a tutor but proven impossible out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Hmm, I may have a look to see if they do any courses on paleontology.....
                I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an Indiana Jones hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

Instead i'm developing Web Services.

Don't know where it all went wrong

Are they expensive these courses then?
                Last edited by Durbs; 27 February 2010, 10:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an Indiana Jones hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

Are they expensive these courses then?
                  'cause you went after the money

Dunno why people spend 3-4 years studying real interesting stuff only to head off in a completely different direction - madness

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an amusing hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

I've never been to Montana, but we had great fun collecting crinoids in Clitheroe the other week
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

I've never been to Montana, but we had great fun collecting crinoids in Clitheroe the other week
                      I've got Crinoid stem bits sat in the ashtray on the bookshelf beside my 'pooter.

Wish i'd carried on with it, the dinosaur bits were cool but we did a lot of crystallography which i didn't like at all - all chemistry, meh. Then i swapped to Mining Engineering, that was good.

I originally worked in that stuff but spent a few years logging drill core, not the Indiana Jones stuff i had in my head.

This looks like it'd be good: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...urse/sa188.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X