• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singapore the good, the bad and the ugly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    EO, I think you've just achieved a Googlewhack.

Googling on "L a t h w a s p" (quoted, and without the spaces of course) returns exactly one result - your post!
    Sadly not. A Google Wack requires two words, both proper words with dictionary definitions that return only one result.

"L a t h w a s p" as one word returns one result, Lath Wasp as two words returns loads. Also, I cant find any definition of a Lath Wasp anywhere else.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I never even knew you'd left Snaw. You Permie out there?
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Wah lau!! You tink dat because you big ang moh you can come and crikitizise our ‘fine’ society.

Beer too warm?! Only because you dumb ang moh’s sit outside with your sarong party girls on your lap, sweating like paedophile out side school lah!

We got no curture? Have you not seen ‘under one’ roof and ‘Phua Chu Kang’

mad
        "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Sorry got carried away , I was born there and lived there till I was 18 so I know it rather well. Still go back every year for two weeks, only place I really consider home, and pretty much agree on what you said.
          "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Get to Hooters. It's mint.

Comment

I have only been there on business and know some expats and locals. I had heard:

Cars - bad - you have to have permission to purchase one as you need to prove you can park it somewhere before you buy it.

Food - Good - seafood especially at the open air eateries yum yum

Beer/drinks - I only ever drank in the hotels on company expenses so I can't really comment

Privacy - Ugly - the press is censored and apparently all phone lines are tapped - do not say anything against the government they are listening and apparently will take action. I don't know if this is really true or not, an expat told me.

Shopping - ugly - there are 5 price levels:
              1) the price on the label
              2) the price to a tourist
              3) the price to an expat
              4) the price to a local
              5) the price someone will pay knowing the other 4 prices exist!

Little India - Good
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

Shopping - ugly - there are 5 price levels:
                1) the price on the label
                2) the price to a tourist
                3) the price to an expat
                4) the price to a local
                5) the price someone will pay knowing the other 4 prices exist!

Little India - Good
                Haggle the price, it's the way of life in Asia. In fact the UK too most brits and just to soft to ask...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'd love to get back out to asia....just can't get enough of the food in places like singapore.
                  Is the only "in" via banking ? (experience I don't have ...sniff sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    [*]Work. Seems to be lots of it about, and if you're western it pays well (Even by UK standards).
                    Well all the jobs there are advertised at Asian rates. How do you find a job at a Western rate?

And are there any jobs outside banks?
                    Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

That's a very interesting take on life in Singapore, thanks Snaw.

Comment

Working...
                      X