• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singapore the good, the bad and the ugly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    Sorry got carried away , I was born there and lived there till I was 18 so I know it rather well. Still go back every year for two weeks, only place I really consider home, and pretty much agree on what you said.
    I saw Carl Cox at Zouks about 10 years ago. And got thrown out of Fire the next night for pestering the local women.

I also got thrown out of some rich Aussie chicks flat after asking her if I could get a blowjob on the balcony. Her boyfriend was in the kitchen.

Ahhhh, happy days in Singapore.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Ah sweetheart, didn't anyone tell you... Scotland didn't make it

Only kidding!!

I was expecting you to not have no many "cons" of living out there and a lot more "pro's".

How long do you reckon you will stick it out?
      Hey, was trying to be balanced. Nowhere is perfect, but I'm loving it here - in balance the positives way outweigh the negatives.

Originally intended maybe three years, the missus and me and already reassessing that and thinking maybe we might end up staying longer.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        It's all a bit conformist and somewhat authoritarian. Not exactly the rock and roll capital of the earth.

I prefer grimy cities with some life, like New York or Istanbul.
        True, very true. But I'm married with two kids, and I've lived my share of rock and roll (And a few other peoples as well I reckon). NYC is the best place I ever lived but I couldn't imagine trying to raise a family there, and if you end up upstate where it's nicer, it's would also be dull as ds. IMO.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
          I never even knew you'd left Snaw. You Permie out there?
          Yep, left 2 months ago - there is a contract market, and it's probaly more so atm as copanies are a bit cadgey - but it's nothing like as lucrative as the UK so on balance permie works better.

I should know better than to respond to you today btw. Didn't get to see it though, not on telly here and my streaming internet was a bit pish yesterday.

Comment

Snaw, might you enlighten those of us remaining in the chilly northern hemisphere how one gets paid as a contractor in SIN ?

Do contractors benefit from the low tax regime ?

What about the local version of IR35 etc?

EDIT: Just realised that of course you are perm there. ** If you were on contract, how would it work it terms of getting paid/tax/Ltd. type entity ?

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by LegendsWear7 View Post
              Snaw, might you enlighten those of us remaining in the chilly northern hemisphere how one gets paid as a contractor in SIN ?

Do contractors benefit from the low tax regime ?

What about the local version of IR35 etc?

EDIT: Just realised that of course you are perm there. ** If you were on contract, how would it work it terms of getting paid/tax/Ltd. type entity ?

THANKS
              I had to pay a 'withholding tax' (20%) then VAT on top. My accountant recovered the withholding tax at year end
              so it was a temporary inconvenience

watch out for the wildlife though, if you are serious about going

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I had to pay a 'withholding tax' (20%) then VAT on top. My accountant recovered the withholding tax at year end
                so it was a temporary inconvenience

watch out for the wildlife though, if you are serious about going

Hmm, VAT shouldn't be any issue I guess. We are talking about Singapore VAT right ?

The wildlife? That's a wee bit ambiguous EO. I've heard some stories and I was in Singapore for 3 weeks in 2002. Are we talking about the Night Zoo (excellent), four floors of whores (not for me), patrolling Thai ladybots (), or the ever so eager SPGs ?

As comely as some of the local girls are I heard that the more professional & educated (I like) tend *not* to want the ang moh as it implies she is dependent on him, WAG-style. There is some kind of prejudice against white boy in 'nice' families.

I'm willing to get my head down and work on it.

Comment

Hmm, VAT shouldn't be any issue I guess. We are talking about Singapore VAT right ?

The wildlife? That's a wee bit ambiguous EO. I've heard some stories and I was in Singapore for 3 weeks in 2002. Are we talking about the Night Zoo (excellent), four floors of whores (not for me), patrolling Thai ladybots (), or the ever so eager SPGs ?

As comely as some of the local girls are I heard that the more professional & educated (I like) tend *not* to want the ang moh as it implies she is dependent on him, WAG-style. There is some kind of prejudice against white boy in 'nice' families.

That will get you a long way with most women.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

my situation was, uk based contractor doing a fixed price job in Singapore, hotel flights paid for by them.

They paid me 80% of the deal, and each quarter I paid VAT normally, then at the year end, the accountant adjusted the accounts so I got the withheld money back. Speak to an accountant to get the correct terminology.
                    It all came right in the end, and very lucrative too

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

I was more thinking of the insect, lepidoptorus Tigris, which you may not have heard of. It's a small pale butterfly and the only known carnivorous butterfly in the world.
                      Since the Singaporan rock-ape declined in numbers, its main prey is now humans and pet monkeys.

A mate of mine was bitten whilst he was visiting the Orchard gardens and he spent two weeks in hospital having plastic surgery and skin grafts. They are particularly attracted to the smell of soap, so dont wash before going out.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X