• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home percentage in Holland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was recently offered what at first sounded like a nice job near Rotterdam on exactly that kind of money. I laughed and put the phone down.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Regarding contract work in Holland, how do you people run it regarding taxes? Do you register a company in Holland, work through your UK limited, or through an umbrella?
      Et tu, Brute?

I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Have you got a beard?

Cos you talk like a Twunt!
        Don't let the facts get in the way of your insults.

Comment

I'm at a similar stage. Interview lined up for Thursday for a job in Amsterdam, They are talking circa 500 euros/day.

Is it really worth considering buying a property? How does the tax relief work?

Can you pay into a UK SIPP? Do you get tax relief for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
            I'm at a similar stage. Interview lined up for Thursday for a job in Amsterdam, They are talking circa 500 euros/day.

Is it really worth considering buying a property? How does the tax relief work?
            Definitely. If you have a mortgage you can claim the interest back against tax. If the top part of your income is in the 52% bracket (>53,000 euros or so) then 52% of the interest you pay can be deducted from your taxable income. If you’re paying 15,000 euros of interest, as you would on a 250000 mortgage, that’s very useful. There are two ways of arranging the rebate. One is to just declare your mortgage each year on your tax declaration and wait for a payment from the taxman. The other is to apply for a ‘voorlopig teruggaaf’ and get the rebate paid into your account each month.

Setting up an Ltd in Holland is an expensive and long winded process. You should get a BSN number from the tax office once you have signed into the council where you’re going to live. Setting up as a sole trader is easy and cheap, and just involves a trip to the Kamer van koophandel when you have your BSN number and a then a trip to the tax office to get a BTW (VAT) number.

Most people set up as a sole trader first, then change into a Ltd once they have the money (18,000 euros of capital plus solicitors fees).

Don't know about the SIPP, but I know you're allowed to reserve 12% of your before tax profit for pension needs, so it would probably fall under this.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

OK, thanks....I guess that's assuming you don't end up in negative equity!

Comment

Had a call from the pimp - seems they have taken on somebody internally so all bets are off. Thanks for the info folks. Looks like a little longer in Geneva for me then!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Good luck Tony. Sorry to hijack your thread

Comment

The mortgage tax relief sounds good but I guess not really practical for a 3 or 6 month contract?

If you sell at a profit, do you then pay capital gains?

Comment

The housing market over here is pretty static; you are unlikely to make a profit unless you have the house for a while, and then it will only be a modest one.
                      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                      X