• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home percentage in Holland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
    Personally, I think this tax ruling is rubbish, because it creates an unbalanced market (as an NL citizen I don't get this perk, nor is it applicable if I move the other way (contract in the UK)) and there is currently no skills shortage, but I think it still applies so it's there to be used I guess..
    The tax ruling's there because most Dutch employees get the full benefit of hypotheekrente aftrek and pension deductions, and most expats don't buy a house or set up a Dutch pension, therefore an expat without the 30% ruling would be disadvantaged, and would probably refuse to work at 52% tax. The real solution would be to get rid of the mortgage interest tax relief, get rid of the 30% ruling, get rid of the 'verkapt dienstverband' bulltulip and bring in a flat tax at 25% for everyone. Trouble is, I don't see that happening in Holland with the current state of Dutch politics.

I think TonyEnglish's problem is the rate; he should be looking at 70e per hour at least if it's Amsterdam.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I think TonyEnglish's problem is the rate; he should be looking at 70e per hour at least if it's Amsterdam.
      That's a thing I don't get with agents. Why didn't she say that on 450e a day the takehome would be rubbish? If it turns out that on 450 a day I'm looking at 225 a day after tax then there is no way I'll be doing the job.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        That's a thing I don't get with agents. Why didn't she say that on 450e a day the takehome would be rubbish? If it turns out that on 450 a day I'm looking at 225 a day after tax then there is no way I'll be doing the job.
        As I say, it all depends on your costs. I’m on 560, spend 55 euros per night on a hotel room in Haarlem (which is a pretty nice room), 50 euros each evening on restaurants and have a smart car in the company’s name; all these are before tax costs. So although my net income isn’t brilliant, I have a pretty good lifestyle.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

As I say, it all depends on your costs. I’m on 560, spend 55 euros per night on a hotel room in Haarlem (which is a pretty nice room), 50 euros each evening on restaurants and have a smart car in the company’s name; all these are before tax costs. So although my net income isn’t brilliant, I have a pretty good lifestyle.
          similar views, I live in a very nice apartment during the week, eat very well, fly to/from home or get 1st class train and the quality of life beats that in the Uk hands down (in my opinion).
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

i prefer to max the all-in rate and slum it when working abroad. i tried the living like a king but ended up drowning in expense forms and thinking about elastic waisted trousers.

Comment

I have a pretty good lifestyle.
              Quiet. You've got plenty of time to post tulip on here.

Comment

pot - kettle - black

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  similar views, I live in a very nice apartment during the week, eat very well, fly to/from home or get 1st class train and the quality of life beats that in the Uk hands down (in my opinion).
                  To have a great quality of life in the UK you need to earn tuliploads. Luckily my rate is positively prawnesque in comparison to the pathetic sums in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    To have a great quality of life in the UK you need to earn tuliploads. Luckily my rate is positively prawnesque in comparison to the pathetic sums in this thread
                    Have you got a beard?

Cos you talk like a Twunt!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                      Is the market in England that bad at the moment? I am curious as to me it looks like in England things are picking up quite well (judging from the ads...).

I think the point of the agent is that nobody can guarantee you will be accepted the 30% rule. I had it on a similar rate as yours but not every foreigner on a similar rate had. I am afraid it also depends on the agent too. On the good side it is retroactive.
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X