• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I know a lot of CUK ers don't agree with me, but this outsourcing trend will not continue. It's far too expensive in the long run. Let's hope we can survive the long run ...
    My experience suggests they don't actually save anything. But you know my views on this, having bored you to death on a couple of occasions.
    If you'd asked me a year ago I would have agreed with you re: outsourcing trend but I think it is here to stay. It's been going on long enough now for companies to learn from the early adopters experiences and decide whether to pursue it or not - and pursue it they are in greater numbers.

With regards costs savings, whether it saves money or not is irrelevant as the middle managers who propose and implement the offshoring ensure it is 'seen' as being successful by the board. As such, from my experience, there is a 'collective conspiracy' by the managers involved to push it through as its another feather in their caps which leads to further promotion.

Personally, I'm hoping there is a few more years left in outsourcing so I can adapt my skills and jump on the gravy train.

Comment

I know a lot of CUK ers don't agree with me, but this outsourcing trend will not continue. It's far too expensive in the long run. Let's hope we can survive the long run ...
      WSS. As with any field driven by humans rather than technologies, fads in management come and go; it used to be paintballing, which was at least less harmful to the wider economy, though just as much of a waste of time and money.

It may be that management types can gain a little kudos now by advocating offshoring and outsourcing, but the fad will eventually pass and they'll all get into the next big thing (which will also prove to be a waste of time and money).

Comment

I remember someone saying exactly the same thing about the shipyards, and steel making, and the coal mines...

Comment

To write bespoke software I think you need to be in constant contact with the users/stakeholders.

I don't think this can happen when you are thousands of miles away in a different time zone and speaking to someone with poor English over a crappy phone line.

Comment

To write bespoke software I think you need to be in constant contact with the users/stakeholders.

I don't think this can happen when you are thousands of miles away in a different time zone and speaking to someone with poor English over a crappy phone line.
            have you seen the rubbish most corporates use? Some of the stuff would be seriously improved if it were written in another language say swahili.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You luddites make me laugh. Outsourcing is not just another trend, it's here to stay. While there are some horror stories, remember this is just the start. Bob is capable of improvement and will do so.
              It all depends what you do and what extra value you're bringing. Pure play coding can, and will, go to Bob. He's cheaper, more hard-working and as good as you, or better, in most cases.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Outsourcing is cheating. It only works if a minority of companies or institutions outsource. If we all outsourced; then they would be no economy left to generate wealth. The result would be all companies would go under.

Not terribly bright are you? Companies are outsourcing to India and China and building up those economies because that's where their future markets are coming from, not the aging West.
                You're right there will be no economy to generate wealth in the West. India and China will provide most profits for those companies who invest/move there and who ultimately have no national/patriotic obligations at all - far from them going under, they do fantastically well in these markets.
                What we are seeing is the end of the period of Western domination.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

I've just spent six months at a client where our team was being outsourced to Bangalore. I haven't been especially happy about the task conceptually, although I owed it to the client (and myself in the circs) to cooperate.

Much of the comms is via email, IM, IRC, and pin-sharp video links, so "crackly phone lines" are not much of an issue these days.

Also, although some of the grunts in Bangalore struggled in various ways, their team leaders had worked in the US for some years and were pretty clued up, with brisk American accents and forthright attitudes to match.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There was a limit to how many times I could tell someone in India how to price a derivative and I think I reached that. Ironically, with JPM.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Also, although some of the grunts in Bangalore struggled in various ways, their team leaders had worked in the US for some years and were pretty clued up, with brisk American accents and forthright attitudes to match.
                      Indeed with the right leadership in place, Bob is a match for anyone.
                      Be afraid, be very afraid.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X