• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how old do you have to be to be a Contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooops

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 12 April 2010, 12:21.

Comment

Originally posted by moder8or View Post
      Started contracting in 83, began by moving half a dozen VAX3's across the office, think they were linked to an Argus 400, that was the first intro to IT. not done very much since, its been stop,go,stop,go, and here we are now, again in a slowdown, still optimistic, well you can't give in can you?

Holy crp ..... I was still learning my times tables back then!!!

Big up respect for the golden oldies on here!

Comment

I think the young contractors start as project managers in junior positions to learn the ropes as it were, and work there way up into the more senior development roles.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I started age 26, because I had a permie job with c(r)apita that I hated. Got a great first contract, doing VAX/VMS All-In-One programming and doubled my income. Then went permie to get ".net" experience for a year.

I've also noticed that there are few young .netters around. And the subcontinental ones tend to program for a couple of years before going into the functional areas. Which means that the pool of decent developers, on shore, is dwindling.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

ooops

Milan.
            Last edited by milanbenes; 12 April 2010, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by moder8or View Post
              Started contracting in 83
              Phew! For a moment I thought you said "at", not "in".

In 83 I had already been contracting for 5 years and was already wondering how long the gravy train would last.

Comment

Interestingly, in Basle, InfoSys have been recruiting techy admins recently - from the UK - on good permie salaries.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

very good

Milan.

Comment

Im a wee nipper, at least relatively to the mean age in the poll.

5 years .NET dev experience, 26 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by DotNetDeveloper View Post
                      Im a wee nipper, at least relatively to the mean age in the poll.

5 years .NET dev experience, 26 years of age.
                      Does your mum know you're using the Internet?
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X