• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU comes to Greece's rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Like USA?

Do you think they'd do as well if they remained part of the Empire?
    That's not what I said
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      That's not what I said
      This time next year Rodders, you know it makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Except of course that they aren't. In the figures given corporation tax take is allocated to regions based on gross value added or population. If you look at the table on p.123 you will see that Scotland provides slightly more than 10% of the corporation tax take used in the calculations, which is consistent with your figures.

I'm just trying to point out that London and the SE make a disproportionate contribution to UK GDP and tax revenue, in much the same way that Germany makes a disproportionate contribution to the Eurozone. That's not to say the whole isn't greater than the sum of it's parts.

I'm not trying to be anti Scottish or pro London here, if anything I would say that it's in the interests of the stronger Eurozone countries to look out for the weaker ones because the end result benefits everyone, in much the same way that having Scotland remain part of the UK is a good thing.

I also think the UK would win by being in the Euro.
        Yeah, good points. It is just that, as I get old and grumpy, I have decided no longer to let offhand mutters of "we subsidise Scotland" pass by without comment.

I'm not being pro-Scotland, and certainly not anti-London, in that. I'm just trying to improve the standard of debate and of facts behind the debate; and I see that you are too.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/doc...p2.cfm?doc=307

Prior to the American Revolution, a surprisingly large number of Native Americans lived among whites. ...
          Because of their interest in the fur trade and in avoiding costly Indian wars, the British had been eager to prevent rapid settlement of the backcountry and to guarantee Indians the integrity of their hunting grounds. ....
          The end of the war brought a westward surge of backcountry settlers onto Indian lands.
          Failure to pillage the Indian lands was one of the things that the colonists held against Great Britain:

The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
          He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
          U.S. Declaration of Independence
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
          X