• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU comes to Greece's rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No i don't, its a complex issue and Bob has to share some of the blame. However its clear that Britain got rich off the back of empire and has been in relative decline ever since.
    What's that quote about " ...looking for a role ever since"?
    The Germans on t'other hand, in modern times, have based their wealth on productivity.
    I think you will find that the countries who were part of the empire have also done rather well off the back of Britain.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I think you will find that the countries who were part of the empire have also done rather well off the back of Britain.
      Like USA?

Do you think they'd do as well if they remained part of the Empire?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Like USA?

Do you think they'd do as well if they remained part of the Empire?
        The Native American Indians would be better off. Please read history regarding the same.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
          As in my example, Scotch Whisky sales are London revenue? On paper, yes.
          Except of course that they aren't. In the figures given corporation tax take is allocated to regions based on gross value added or population. If you look at the table on p.123 you will see that Scotland provides slightly more than 10% of the corporation tax take used in the calculations, which is consistent with your figures.

I'm just trying to point out that London and the SE make a disproportionate contribution to UK GDP and tax revenue, in much the same way that Germany makes a disproportionate contribution to the Eurozone. That's not to say the whole isn't greater than the sum of it's parts.

I'm not trying to be anti Scottish or pro London here, if anything I would say that it's in the interests of the stronger Eurozone countries to look out for the weaker ones because the end result benefits everyone, in much the same way that having Scotland remain part of the UK is a good thing.

I also think the UK would win by being in the Euro.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
            OK then, I take back my assertion that the SE would have no resources. Obviously, it has everybody else's resources.
            It has a proportionate share of the UK's resources. That seems fair don't you think?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The Native American Indians would be better off. Please read history regarding the same.
              You think Native Americans would not have the same fate if British Sovereigns remained in charge?

Comment

You think Native Americans would not have the same fate if British Sovereigns remained in charge?
                You never know, we might have been outsourcing everything to Bob Sitting-Bull instead of Bob Shawadiwadi
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  You never know, we might have been outsourcing everything to Bob Sitting-Bull instead of Bob Shawadiwadi

Comment

ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/doc...p2.cfm?doc=307

Prior to the American Revolution, a surprisingly large number of Native Americans lived among whites. There was a large population of people of mixed ancestry, and many lived in such colonial cities as Philadelphia and Charleston. At the start of the Revolution, Indians in Stockbridge, Massachusetts (Algonquins who originally came from western Long Island and eastern New Jersey), provided Minutemen to fight the British.

The Revolution marked an important watershed in the history of Native Americans east of the Mississippi River. Because of their interest in the fur trade and in avoiding costly Indian wars, the British had been eager to prevent rapid settlement of the backcountry and to guarantee Indians the integrity of their hunting grounds. Not surprisingly, Native Americans usually sided with the British during the Revolution.

The American patriots, in contrast, did not need Native Americans in the way either the French or the British had. They were much more interested in rapid western settlement, which resulted in campaigns to subdue and remove tribes on the borders of white settlement. Indeed, such campaigns of removal began during the war itself, as this letter from Thomas Jefferson, then serving as Virginia's governor, makes clear. Jefferson ultimately recommended the expulsion of all borderland Indians.

During the war, many traditional hunting grounds were devastated. British-Indian attacks in the borderlands brought retaliation from American patriots, who destroyed the crops and burnt down towns of Indians suspected of being loyal to the British. Many patriots regarded all Indians as disloyal and forced them to migrate westward. The Stockbridge Indians who had provided Minutemen were forced to move from Massachusetts to New York. The end of the war brought a westward surge of backcountry settlers onto Indian lands.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X