• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to emigrate. But where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Odd that.

I feel a bit alienated too.
    Particularily after the whole Kirk thing. How could you go back home?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      sshhhhh we dont say the K word around Zeity, makes him a bit stressed out
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Ssshhhhh! We try not to mention that, it makes him angry. You wouldn't want to see him angry....
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

If you have a mortgage in Switzerland, you pay only the interest on the loan. Of course, you can make repayments, but it isn't the norm. And mortgage contracts are 1 to 5 years. Then you remortgage. You need 20% of the value of the house as a deposit, of which half can be simply guaranteed by your pension. (so you need 10% as capital).

We used to pay 2'800CHF for a reasonably sized house in an area not too bad, but not brilliant either. Most people live in apartments.

Currently pay ~2'000CHF a month mortgage, on a bigger, nicer house in a decent area.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
            If you're looking at Prague the property might be slightly cheaper than the UK (outside London) but unless you have a western European contract or run a business you will probably earn a tiny fraction of a UK rate.

Scary,

I can only speak for IT

you will be surprised that IT is paying more in Praha for employees than for example in Bristol

What you say was true for IT 12 or so years ago, today however, IT for a multinational in Praha is in most cases paying the same or more than the UK for employees

But please, stick with the myths they'll make sure the rabble don't come over.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              Scary,

I can only speak for IT

you will be surprised that IT is paying more in Praha for employees than for example in Bristol

What you say was true for IT 12 or so years ago, today however, IT for a multinational in Praha is in most cases paying the same or more than the UK for employees

But please, stick with the myths they'll make sure the rabble don't come over.

Milan.
              Check you getting all native with your place names
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

I am surprised. Is that plain old programming work or connected with offshoring/nearshoring to a team of low paid locals?

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  Check you getting all native with your place names
                  I think I should get some points for just being able to type Sedlčany with a French keyboard
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

and there's more

but you get the point

Milan.
                    Last edited by milanbenes; 10 February 2010, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                      I think I should get some points for just being able to type Sedlčany with a French keyboard
                      1. Google Sedlcany
                      2. ctrl-c
                      3. ctrl-v

Comment

Working...
                      X