• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to emigrate. But where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    for the rest of you, stick to the UK and .Net .

Tarkers,

I think you really need to sit down and do your sums, if you've only got 10 working years left can you really recover the situation to the point of having enough money for a comfy independent retirement. You might be better spending your dosh now as you earn it and seeing how things pan out rather than fretting about it. There is always the UK nanny state to fall back on and anything you did manage to save would probably be cancelled out via means testing. Just a thought !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

Tarkers,

I think you really need to sit down and do your sums, if you've only got 10 working years left can you really recover the situation to the point of having enough money for a comfy independent retirement. You might be better spending your dosh now as you earn it and seeing how things pan out rather than fretting about it. There is always the UK nanny state to fall back on and anything you did manage to save would probably be cancelled out via means testing. Just a thought !
      My Plan B is just to spend it now, then top myself. Great. I won't be recommending a career in IT to any youngsters.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
        Thanks

OK, I'll leave off this one. No, actually Germany is probably on the cards because of my partner's ability to speak the language. Otherwise I might well. I liked the place when I visited, admittedly a while ago when it wasn't quite so (deservedly) overrun with tourists. I stayed near Sedlčany and just did a few day trips to Prague and other places. I liked the countryside and found the people most welcoming, and the beer outstanding of course.
        They speak German in CZ-Sudetenland. Was there some sort of war about that?
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My Plan B is just to spend it now, then top myself. Great. I won't be recommending a career in IT to any youngsters.
          You could just keep on working till you drop.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You could just keep on working till you drop.
            That's Plan A. It may be sabotaged e.g. by people not wanting to give me a string of contracts all the way until I'm 75.
            Step outside posh boy

Comment

That's Plan A. It may be sabotaged e.g. by people not wanting to give me a string of contracts all the way until I'm 75.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you're looking at Prague the property might be slightly cheaper than the UK (outside London) but unless you have a western European contract or run a business you will probably earn a tiny fraction of a UK rate.

Comment

Again, yes. Because I can't believe that it's not what everybody wants. So why don't we have it?

Edit: you're Canadian, IIRC? Well, maybe you got it. How did you work that?
                  Waaaayyy back in the '70s I moved there. I'm here now to explore europe. Then I'll move back. Canada is great - aside from the taxation and miserly retirement savings plans and lackluster health care and corrupt politics. But at least the food and essentials arn't a complete ripoff.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Waaaayyy back in the '70s I moved there. I'm here now to explore europe. Then I'll move back. Canada is great - aside from the taxation and miserly retirement savings plans and lackluster health care and corrupt politics. But at least the food and essentials arn't a complete ripoff.
                    I guess that kind of thing is my top beef with the UK: food and essentials are a complete ripoff. Also, tax (all told, i.e. incl NICs, duty, and stealth stuff) is too high for what it gets you; I'm not trying to avoid tax but I don't feel OK with it here. The housing bubble is no longer entertaining. And the society as a whole is not one I feel part of.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

I guess that kind of thing is my top beef with the UK: food and essentials are a complete ripoff. Also, tax (all told, i.e. incl NICs, duty, and stealth stuff) is too high for what it gets you; I'm not trying to avoid tax but I don't feel OK with it here. The housing bubble is no longer entertaining. And the society as a whole is not one I feel part of.
                      Food and energy are getting much more expensive everywhere. Food shopping is a much smaller proportion of a salary/rate in the UK than in most countries.

Comment

Working...
                      X