• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well, I've finally done it!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore
    Don't think you need to worry on that score. Security will be bouyant for a long time yet...

Well thats what I'm hoping, but this is my first contract and while the concept of a new job doesnt bother me - been doing it every 2-3 years since I started in IT - it's what might happen in 6 months time that worries me

All being well I get an extension or a new gig fairly quickly, but it cant hurt to have a fall back position.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

loadsa work in security and I don't feel the need to have a fallback (not in IT anyway).

If you're worried about what will happen in 6 months then maybe contracting isn't for you. It doesn't suit everybody.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
        loadsa work in security and I don't feel the need to have a fallback (not in IT anyway).

If you're worried about what will happen in 6 months then maybe contracting isn't for you. It doesn't suit everybody.

The nerves are just because it's my first go at contracting and once I get into it I'm sure I'll be fine. I've always been of the belt and braces persuasion though, hence the contingency plans.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Please don't tell me you are using VB.NET......

C# is the future of .NET
          Come on DP, what point is there discussing whether this or that .NET thingymajig is better than the other when it's all a dead end anyway.

SAP is about the only market which is really growing and brings in a decent amount of readies, and will continue that way for the foreseeable future.

.NET, a mugs game if you ask me!

Comment

I've looked for a SAP for Dummies and a Teach Yourself SAP in 21 Days book, but an struggling to find one.

Indeed SAP is a better bet, but one that has a very high barrier to entry.

.NET is kerrr ching for the masses.

Comment

Why all the argument re VB/C# ?

Given they both produce CLR code, and as far as I know either syntax can be written to produce exactly the same CLR code surely a large part of the argument is just intellectual wanking, I mean healthy debate. Sure C# will suit some, VB others ?

Personally I'm writing new stuff in C#, and it feels more natural for that. But a lot of the stuff I'm moving forward is cobol and VB6, so there's a much easier route with the .net variants.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                I've looked for a SAP for Dummies and a Teach Yourself SAP in 21 Days book, but an struggling to find one.

Indeed SAP is a better bet
                Exactly, every man and his pet sheep are getting into .NET!

I'm sure it's not too difficult to get hold of the required info, and then just be a bit creative with your CV. SAP, ASP, how difficult a search and replace job is that. Bet you could even convince some people they're one and the same thing...just ask Milan...

Oh and SAP also has such a nice IDE...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Exactly, every man and his pet sheep are getting into .NET!

Baaa!

Comment

Working...
                  X