• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the same sort of thing happen a fair few times to me too...actually right now in a lot of pain.
    Ok, solution
    To relief the pain, drugs, maybe one of those heat patches, voltoron gel doesn't seem to do much, deep heat does.

Then........exercise.....walking, then walking with big swingy steps, then stairs two at a time...eventually freed up enough to go on a rowing machine.

In short space of time base of back is strong again, no pain etc. butttttttt...bad news is, once it happens once, next time it seems to happen more easily and so on....then you get to stage, without out exercise, and living a sedentary seated/laying lifestyle the pain always returns

..summary - rowing machine

Comment

Buy a back support belt from boots. It keeps your back straight
      It helped me a lot with the pain.

Comment

Medical doses of Ibuprofen, that's 800mg 3x a day - do take with food. I find washing them down with half a bottle of a decent wine quite effective.

Get 6-12 sessions of physio. At the end, they should tell you some exercises to perform that will help prevent it happening again.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Should go in a couple of days, aided by lots of hot baths and some of that gel for muscular aches stuff from the chemists.
          To avoid in the future, do your stretching exercises before and after long coding sessions.
          Bad advice - the type of injury determines whether you should use hot treatment or cold. Until that's determined, be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Bad advice - the type of injury determines whether you should use hot treatment or cold. Until that's determined, be careful.
            Definitely WHS

Mr Norr has had back problems and his physio has recommended cold, not hot.

Consult an expert before you do some damage.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Oh! That's what I always do with mine. Can having a hot shower/bath really do any damage?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh! That's what I always do with mine. Can having a hot shower/bath really do any damage?
                It all depends on what you have done to your back, whether it's nerve, tissue, muscle, disc etc.....

So the application of cold or hot in the wrong situation could make things worse or cause injury.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You have showers sg? Blimey, thought you were that scrawny you had to run around to get wet!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Oh dear. What a lot of assumptions everyone has made.

Dear Furryfaced-One,

I'm sorry, but you've been mixing with a bunch of bipeds for too long and started thinking you're one of them.

Spend a night curled up in a pile of leaves, then a morning swinging in your tyre.

Once you are nicely relaxed, a couple of hours swinging between the branches with allow gravity to make the weight of your legs sort your back out.

Now I'm the king of the swingers
                    Oh, the jungle VIP
                    I've reached the top and had to stop
                    And that's what botherin' me
                    I wanna be a man, mancub
                    And stroll right into town
                    And be just like the other men
                    I'm tired of monkeyin' around!

Oh, oobee doo
                    I wanna be like you
                    I wanna walk like you
                    Talk like you, too
                    You'll see it's true
                    An ape like me
                    Can learn to be human too.

You!
                    I wanna be like you
                    I wanna talk like you
                    Walk like you, too
                    You'll see it's true
                    Someone like me
                    Can learn to be
                    Like someone like me
                    Can learn to be
                    Like someone like you
                    Can learn to be
                    Like someone like me!

"Four legs good, two legs bad!"
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 3 February 2010, 23:53.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      Now I'm the king of the swingers
                      Oh, the jungle VIP
                      I've reached the top and had to stop
                      And that's what botherin' me
                      I wanna be a man, mancub
                      And stroll right into town
                      And be just like the other men
                      I'm tired of monkeyin' around!
                      I remember the first time I saw Disney's rendition of The Jungle Book: it was a Saturday afternoon in the Sixties when it first came out, when our Great Uncle George, of blessed memory, had accepted the burden of keeping myself and my siblings entertained while my parents did something or other

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      "Four legs good, two legs bad!"
                      I never got around to reading Animal Farm until I was in my late twenties

I knew and thought I understood all the cultural references thereto, but I hadn't actually read the book. As with all of Orwell's novels, I wept at the end - but in a good way

Comment

Working...
                      X