• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zurich or London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zurich or London

Anybody worked in both; which is better.

I see lots of jobs in London, so more opportunities but...
    I'm alright Jack

Zurich for sure

Have worked in both cities, Zurich is better by far.

The girls generally look better (and don't smell bad like pommy sheilas do), some decent hills close by for skiing, and best of all it's not in the UK.
    I think therefore I drink...

Comment

I think that's the clincher.

Zurich is NOT in the UK

Comment

Zurich vs. London

I've lived/worked in both places. Currently living in Zurich (but will be moving out soon...if you need an apartment, drop me a line!)

London is much more dynamic, vibrant, great place to hang out etc. but working there is another story. You can make good coin on a City contract, but if you want to save for a rainy day, you'll probably be forced to live way out in the sticks and commuting ain't no fun.

Zurich on the other hand - nice city, good quality of life (i.e. clean place, no social problems, little to no crime) but this city (and Switzerland in general) is one of the most boring places on earth. Although, I must say Switzerland is one of the very few places where you can make really good money either on perm or contract, and despite the high costs of living, save a bundle. Taxes are moderate, in comparison to most other EU countries and the social security is incredible i.e. you work here on contract under an umbrella company for 12 months and if you don't get renewed/refuse a renewal discreetly, you are entitled to unemployment benefit for up to 18 months to a max of something like 6000ish CHF a month......not bad coin for doing f-all!!

You can set yourself up as self-employed or set up a company here and use that to contract, but then you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the wonderful welfare state!! Contracting under a Swiss brolly: you have to pay both employer and employee social security contributions, in essence IR35, but atleast you get something back for what you pay into the system.

Winters are b1chin' cold and they don't speak proper German here...but some kind of constant yodle dialect.....

Comment

Interesting Crown Royal, actually I'm already in Zurich, but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed having lived in Frankfurt and Luxembourg. Frankfurt is a lot more interesting (nightlife etc) than Zürich but unfortunately not many jobs.

I'm thinking of giving London a whirl...

What about you Boris where are you these days?
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
            Interesting Crown Royal, actually I'm already in Zurich, but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed having lived in Frankfurt and Luxembourg. Frankfurt is a lot more interesting (nightlife etc) than Zürich but unfortunately not many jobs.

I'm thinking of giving London a whirl...

What about you Boris where are you these days?
            I'm in Zurich. I may go to work in London again for personal reasons, but I'm dreading, dreeeeeaaaading the commute. It's true that in Zurich you can get good money, without a lot of stress, and live in the place without spending all your money. And I can't tell you how light the taxes seem after years in France.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              I'm in Zurich. I may go to work in London again for personal reasons, but I'm dreading, dreeeeeaaaading the commute. It's true that in Zurich you can get good money, without a lot of stress, and live in the place without spending all your money. And I can't tell you how light the taxes seem after years in France.
              That's what worries me

I'm thinking of getting a flat in Docklands or nearby wherever I might get a job so that I wouldn't have to commute, and then focus on coining it in. One advantage is that I could easily fly to Frankfurt from London, so maybe I'll lead a dual existence for a while.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                That's what worries me

I'm thinking of getting a flat in Docklands or nearby wherever I might get a job so that I wouldn't have to commute, and then focus on coining it in. One advantage is that I could easily fly to Frankfurt from London, so maybe I'll lead a dual existence for a while.
                Seems like a reasonable idea. For me the trouble is that my personal reasons don't actually live in London, so the commute would be nasty, brutish, and long.

Comment

Working...
                X