• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREAKING NEWS; clever people don't pay too much tax!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I agree with a lot of that, but I have no problem with immigrants from any part of the world, if they want to work and look after themselves. There’s a guy in my team from Zimbabwe who fled as Mugabe lay waste to the country; he worked in Britain as a contractor for several years and now works in Holland. He is not a burden to the state and doesn’t live in a council house. Good guy; we need more like him and less inbred chavs.
    There's been a Radio 4 programme on Monday nights about work ethics (by a Daily Mail journalist of all people)
    Anyway, she was interviewing an immigrant who worked as a cleaner in London. Very long hours, very crap pay and I think he was lucky to get about 4 hours sleep on week nights.
    Journo lady points out that if he was on benefits he'd be no worse off
    Immigrant chap replies with, work is good for the soul, sitting at home doing nothing all day rots the mind and body
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

All this 'grass is greener' abroad is bollocks.

Show me a country that is a true utopia and I'll show you the next invasion target by the countries that don't want their people to get any ideas above their station.

The only thing you can hope for elsewhere is much of the same, even if it is packaged differently.

Back to the original point: There are always ways of reducing your tax burden and always will be while the people that make the rules also have to worry about reducing their tax without reducing their income.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        So what you are saying is that you look more favourably on an immigrant who shares your values than on a fellow countryman who does not ?

Maybe the days of Nationalism are over, Mitch is heralding the dawn of a new '-ism'. Hows about calling it Valuesism.

Well to some extent, yes. Given that humans are much more likely to show empathy to those with whom they feel some connection, most obviously through family, but perhaps through shared experiences, it seems natural to me that in a world where borders are being rendered practically meaningless by fast transport and telecommunications, people are most likely to feel empathy toward those who seem to share their values. I have a lot more in common, in terms of upbringing and values, with an educated middle class black Zimbabwean than some semi-literate chav from Swindon. The nationality just doesn’t mean as much to me as the fact that this guy, like me, has got an education, worked for his money, traveled the world in search of experience and knowledge and works in the same profession. He, like me, has left ‘the mother country’ behind, not only literally but also in a more fundamental way; he doesn’t ‘belong’ to a national group, but to a group of people like him; educated migrants who see the world as one big place full of opportunities.

If you google ‘third culture kids’ or ‘global nomads’ you’ll find out more about this; people who have lived in different cultures and countries during their youth often feel more loyalty to and solidarity with those with the same experience than to any nation state.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          All this 'grass is greener' abroad is bollocks.
          The only thing you can hope for elsewhere is much of the same, even if it is packaged differently....
          I don't object to pay taxes. I don't even object to paying more as a percentage than poor people. I do object to tax planning being demonised as somehow immoral.

The grass is greener where I live. The tax authorities understand it's my money they're after. And tax evasion is not a criminal offence! My tax return form is only 4 pages long...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I don't object to pay taxes. I don't even object to paying more as a percentage than poor people. I do object to tax planning being demonised as somehow immoral.

The grass is greener where I live. The tax authorities understand it's my money they're after. And tax evasion is not a criminal offence! My tax return form is only 4 pages long...
            I think on balance the Dutch tax environment is better than Britain. Holland does have high rates of income tax, but also a lot of tax deductibles.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Tax evasion or Tax avoidance?

Comment

And tax evasion is not a criminal offence!
                Ummmm - it is, actually.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

When will politicians and their voters understand that people are simply not prepared to pay 50% tax, with the possible exception of Swedes who get it all back in subsidized houses, lots of paid holidays and cheap volvos?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7011728.ece
                  High taxes are not just for revenue. It is done to control the population. Eg: Take as much money from taxpayers and control it by handing some back in benefits. Meanwhile the tax burden is forcing people into debt
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Tax evasion or Tax avoidance?

Sounds like HMRC are trying to make them one and the same. Currently avoidance is legal yet they have retrospective ways of treating them as evasion based on 'fairness' and not legality.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      High taxes are not just for revenue. It is done to control the population. Eg: Take as much money from taxpayers and control it by handing some back in benefits. Meanwhile the tax burden is forcing people into debt
                      Tax is one of the ways to control inflation - when people got no disposable income they can't bid silly prices for stuff they want.

Well, unless banks start loaning huge amounts, which causes rapid asset inflation.

Comment

Working...
                      X