• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
    Do I have to take all my gin bottles with me?
    Only the empty ones...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Only the empty ones...
        WSS
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I can leave the full packs of smokes as well then, gave up 2 months ago.
          "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Congratulations Bren.

There's another bit of bench going here. I've given my bit a polish and taken my empties with me.

As first days go, not bad. A morning of introductions, decent lunch then an afternoon to get E-mail and t'internets and most importantly the timesheet app and expenses claim forms * sorted out.

* yes that's right, expenses are paid when working away from base, which is nice because base is local.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Congratulations Bren.

There's another bit of bench going here. I've given my bit a polish and taken my empties with me.

As first days go, not bad. A morning of introductions, decent lunch then an afternoon to get E-mail and t'internets and most importantly the timesheet app and expenses claim forms * sorted out.

* yes that's right, expenses are paid when working away from base, which is nice because base is local.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
                Just had an interview this afternoon but don't hold out too much hope.
                It was one of those wishy-washy interviews with questions like...

"Give us one good reason we should hire you and one good reason why we shouldn't"

Came up with some bull, but should have said...

"I'm a chuffing contractor are you sure your not looking for a permie?"

Also after every technical question, when I'd thought I'd answered it quite comprehensivly the 3 of them would scribble a bit and then say "Do you want to add anything more..."

Don't think it's a goer, which is a shame as it is nice and local and the money is not bad for this part of th world.

Back to my depressed state....
                Know exactly where you're at my friend. I'm scared I'm going to start stating the truth, the next time an agent calls or I have an interview with permie hirers (yes it's so desperate I'm taking permie interviews)

Q. So ideally what area of work are you looking for?

A. The one that pays

Q. Could you explain why you've moved about in different roles in the last few years

A. I've been contracting. It means doing in 6 months what a permie takes 3 years.

Q. How have you been finding the job market lately?

A. The fact I'm even talking to you should give you a little clue

Q. Have you had any interviews lately?

A. This has no bearing on my application for this job. Kindly go forth and multiply.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X