• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The weekly commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up at 4.30 and out for 5.15.

At the desk at the client for 7.25.

Not too bad for the 142 miles.

Comment

Up at 5am today, super-glued eyelids open and took coffee for the car journey. Don’t remember the drive at all.

Not as bad as the old days commuting to NL.
      That was; leaving Sunday 9pm, catch car ferry 11.30pm.
      One hour sleep on the ferry (clocks go + 1 hour )
      Arrive Calais at 2am. Drive through Calais Port with doors locked avoiding refugees.
      3am stop for snooze in Belgium.
      5am wake up and drive to avoid early morning traffic near Antwerp. (6am onwards is really busy near Antwerp.)
      6-6.30 am arrive NL and get two hours sleep for 8-30 to 9am Monday start work.
      9.30 wait for permies to arrive late due to traffic problems driving from 2 km away.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Arrive Calais at 2am. Drive through Calais Port with doors locked avoiding refugees.
        3am stop for snooze in Belgium.
        Are there any refugees that want to get to Belgium from France ? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Are there any refugees that want to get to Belgium from France ? :-/
          The refugees hanging around the port will try and get into any vehicle with a UK registration. They are not the most intelligent of people.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Ditto

At least it's sunny today.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Pissed down with rain for the first 100km, snowed for the second and then rained on and off again for the last 100km. Only 3 1/2 hours today
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Up at 4.30 and out for 5.15.

At the desk at the client for 7.30

shattered due to only getting 4.5 hours sleep

Time to hit the coffee

Comment

No commute for me today other than 20 mins on the tube

plus an extra long lie in for a Monday and I'm still at work for 9am.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Up at 4:00 in the car at 4:30 filled the car up at Knutsford at 5:01 (121.9 a litre - bastards!) In the office at 7:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Up at 4:00 in the car at 4:30 filled the car up at Knutsford at 5:01 (121.9 a litre - bastards!) In the office at 7:15.

I made sure I had enough to get down here, I will have to put a bit more in to get home

Comment

Working...
                      X