• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Times ahead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    What about Any Murray. Damned proud to be mostly English, and we are proud to have him

Och aye, we are indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      flip off
      Que? Was an observation - feel free to disagree!

Comment

England basically invented globalisation, ruling half the planet at one stage, and generated a lot of the technology, so we really need to get on with what we created.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          England basically invented globalisation, ruling half the planet at one stage, and generated a lot of the technology, so we really need to get on with what we created.

colonialism

No, it was invented by the Romans, or even earlier.

Comment

What about Any Murray. Damned proud to be mostly English, and we are proud to have him

Oh dear.

I wonder if the problem grows deeper than on the face of it. I'd never have dared cross my father when I was a youngster cause I knew what the consequences would be, and then some followed by a little

Yet today that respect is long lost, I'm surprised what some folks get away with when I'm passing in earshot. It's unbelievable.

I think to myself it's little wonder there's identity problems in the south when the respect for elders is awry. You fly over to Thailand, the sense of identity is as strong as the youth has respect for their elders.

I don't have an identify problem here - jealous?

Perhaps if Tim Henman become an honorary Scot or something he'd comes out of retirement and win wimbledon, because he'd have the fight!!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              That's the spirt.

I suggest starting with John Cleese letter to america
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The peasants are revolting.

This guy had followers. I thought he was a cretin. In fact I thought he was a total cretin. But he had followers. His message was interesting to the pub dwellers. They were getting emotionally involved, accepting his 'business card'
                Promising to join his facebook group. Offering support. Then more drunkenly getting angry about the topic.

There are widespread predictions of civil unrest in this country, and people are genuinely worried the pan will boil over. I used to dismiss this out of hand. Now I'm not so sure.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  I'd bet most of us could not claim to be English (I certainly can't).
                  The UK has been built by immigrants. The guy in your pub is a cretin and just because his racism was tolerated 30 years ago, it doesn''t make it acceptable now.
                  One should always challenge these morons and I won't STFU.
                  I believe the problem is two-fold: the sheer numbers of new immigrants in recent years, and the appearance of 'anti-west' extremism.

It is not surprising that people will react, mainly to overcrowding and culture-mixing, and that some will react more than others. Shouting at them will not help.

Comment

What about Any Murray. Damned proud to be mostly English, and we are proud to have him.
                    He's from Liverpool, isn't he?

Comment

Well I don't think there is a problem. It's just the natural human psychological thing of blaming something external for all your problems.

On balance, and while it has to be managed, immigration is really positive for everyone. Although it means there will be change... but change will always happen and be bad for some.

The real tragedy in the world isn't some bloke in the pub being annoyed because he has lost some England which probably never really existed in the first place. It's global poverty, treatable disease running rampant, blah, blah, etc.

We're the aristocrats of the world. We've all been born with silver spoons.

With guys like that it's like listening to Marie Antionette moaning about how the peasants don't spin enough silk for her dresses and they used to do it better in the past when they were hungry and desperate.

There is a revolution going on but it's the revolution of global access and mobility. Hopefully it will raise living standards for all of humanity.
                      Last edited by DieScum; 30 January 2010, 13:35. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X