• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

France and Germany warn against Internet Exlporer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    IE8 is secured against those particular exploits in its default configuration
    Which is all you need to know. How secure would Firefox v1.0 be today? Comparing an up to date Firefox with a 9 year old version of IE isn't really fair. Your instructions for installing Firefox are much the same as installing IE8, except with IE8, users can keep using the internet icon they're used to. I wonder how many people have had Firefox installed by "expert" friends or relatives, but continue to use the internet with the IE icon they're used to? Ordinary people don't care about browsers, they just want to "see" the internet.

I think half the problem is that the resistance to Vista means a lot of people still running XP, and haven't changed from the default installed IE6.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

ClientCo have just had us all install Firefox
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I installed forefox but when I double click on the shortcut to launch it it takes ages to come up while internet explorer starts instantly
        why is that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          I installed forefox but when I double click on the shortcut to launch it it takes ages to come up while internet explorer starts instantly
          why is that ?
          And you manage to obtain gainful employment as a contractor in IT?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            why is that ?
            It's because Firefox is bloatware. Or perhaps that Windows already has most of the IE components loaded, although that doesn't explain why Chrome is so fast at start up.

That's the main reason why I still use IE. I gave Firefox a try when it came out, but I found I'd get bored waiting for it to start and click on IE and use that instead.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              And you manage to obtain gainful employment as a contractor in IT?
              yes I am doing very well , thank you
              The point is why use a browser which takes forever to start.
              IE may have bugs but for a quick browse on the net it is faster.
              I use firefox only to login to banking sites.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                It's because Firefox is bloatware. Or perhaps that Windows already has most of the IE components loaded, although that doesn't explain why Chrome is so fast at start up.

That's the main reason why I still use IE. I gave Firefox a try when it came out, but I found I'd get bored waiting for it to start and click on IE and use that instead.
                Firefox is anything but bloatware. The entire installer is about 7mb in size!

It's improved lots since it was first released, I'd suggest giving it another try. It's worth it for the addons alone.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Get a life Nick the Geek!
                  Hey - don't dis the Fitz, I find him very informative and occasionally am in awe at his knowledge
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Still, you're correct; if people are running up-to-date installations of certain recent Microsoft operating systems then installing IE8 would be the best option for them.

Perhaps you can provide a five-step guide on how to do so, suitable for explaining over the phone to non-tech savvy individuals?
                    Hmm. I'm pretty sure I got IE8 through Windows update. Which users should have on.

I might be wrong, possibly IE8 required more explicit action than "OK" But it was hardly difficult.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X