• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Marriage Tax stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Clegg said exactly that on Andrew Marr yesterday. Balls should come up with his own ideas.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Did you reason that out all by yourself, or are you quoting verbatim from the response given by some politician this morning on the news?

The question is completely irrelevant anyway. It's a MARRIED couples allowance. Not a PARENTS allowance.
      I didn't ask whether it was a MARRIED couples allowance or a PARENTS allowance, I asked whether it was moral. You may think that irrelevant, as it happens I think it is relevant because Cameron presents that as being the point of it.

Yes I quoted someone else (though not from this morning). Is it like homework, where it doesn't count if I didn't think it up all by myself?
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Yes, because by now she has the house, the kid, a fat maintenance cheque every month
        Unfortunately some women are unlucky/stupid and choose men with nothing to their name.

and government benefits.
        That part is right.

The man has paid and will continue to pay for 18-21 years more.
        Nope if he can help it. Some members of this board think this is fair.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post

Yes I quoted someone else (though not from this morning). Is it like homework, where it doesn't count if I didn't think it up all by myself?
          Ah, it was Nick Clegg then.

In answer to your original question. No, it's not moral, but neither does it have any bearing on whether a married couples allowance will increase morality in the UK.

You really should have recognised it as standard politician issue avoidance - raising a side issue to distract the (sheeplike) audience from what the substantive point is. Nick Clegg seized on the "moral" argument. Cameron should have stayed away from that, and simply used the "fairness" argument. I.e.

"It's not fair that a married couple with only one working partner pays more tax than an unmarried couple in the same situation".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            That'll include all the lesbian & gay married couples. I am so looking forward to the Daily Mail headline about that!

"Straight tax to pay for queer goings on!"

or maybe better...

"Government announces tax relief for hand relief"

You should apply for a job at the Daily Mail......

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              "It's not fair that a married couple with only one working partner pays more tax than an unmarried couple in the same situation".
              Eh? could you just explain how being married makes you pay more tax?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Nick Clegg said exactly that on Andrew Marr yesterday. Balls should come up with his own ideas.
                I usually switch off when Nick Clegg turns up. He's an irrelevance when it comes to the election...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Eh? could you just explain how being married makes you pay more tax?
                  If the wife (or husband - we're all modern here) is not working, you "lose" her (or his) personal allowance without a married couples allowance.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    I usually switch off when Nick Clegg turns up. He'll be a kingmaker when it comes to the aftermath of the election...
                    FTFY.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      If the wife (or husband - we're all modern here) is not working, you "lose" her (or his) personal allowance without a married couples allowance.
                      So?

Comment

Working...
                      X