• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Marriage Tax stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    So?
    So you get more cash in your pocket when your wife doesn't work. It's not that hard to comprehend is it?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      So you get more cash in your pocket when your wife doesn't work. It's not that hard to comprehend is it?
      Why?

Comment

Why?
        Why what?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Why what?
          Why should you be able to claim on his/her tax allowance just because you're married?

Comment

Why should you be able to claim on his/her tax allowance just because you're married?
            The argument goes that you are promoting a healthy family unit by giving tax incentives.

I imagine it would have to be given to civil partnerships to avoid riling the LGBT sisterhood.

I'm not sure it's right, but I wouldn't give it back if it was offered.

Anybody know why it was got rid of in the first place (aside from it being cheaper)?

Comment

The argument goes that you are promoting a healthy family unit by giving tax incentives.

I imagine it would have to be given to civil partnerships to avoid riling the LGBT sisterhood.

Anybody know why it was got rid of in the first place (aside from it being cheaper)?
              Probably cheaper to get rid than fight court cases claiming equal rights for ugly black lesbian one armed whale loving couples...

Comment

aww, but everybody loves one-armed whales don't they?

Comment

Pretty sure it was a straight tax rise ( by the Tories ) for married couples with one wage earner.

Comment

To return to the question I asked, all we have seen so far is that married couples and unmarried ones are treated the same, so not all there's apparent contention that married couples pay more seems wrong.

Comment

Can't say I agree with tax breaks for being married, it will be worth very little in any case as we can't afford anything that would be worthwhile - Brown has bankrupted the nation.
                      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                      X