• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home-made soup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-3 pounds of fresh tomatoes
    1 medium potato
    Finely chopped garlic
    Chopped fresh Basil
    Olive Oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Salt and Pepper.

Peel and half the tomatoes ( place in a bowl, pour over boiling water to cover and leave for 5 minutes. Makes them a doddle to peel. )

Place on a baking tray and season generously with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle with chopped garlic and basil. Drizzle with olive oil.

Place in a hot oven and roast until tomatoes start to blacken around the edges.

While tomatoes are roasting peel and quarter the potato and boil for 20 minutes.

Chop some more basil and place in a bowl or mortar with olive oil and balsamic vinegar ( 1:2 oil to vinegar ). Mash the basil thoughly into the oil and vinegar

When tomatoes are done scrape everything ( black bits and all ) into a bowl or food processsor. Add the potato and its cooking water.

Blitz until desired consitancy is achieved.

Serve with chunky bread and a drizzle of the the basil dressing.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      2-3 pounds of fresh tomatoes
      1 medium potato
      Finely chopped garlic
      Chopped fresh Basil
      Olive Oil
      Balsamic vinegar
      Salt and Pepper.

Peel and half the tomatoes ( place in a bowl, pour over boiling water to cover and leave for 5 minutes. Makes them a doddle to peel. )

Place on a baking tray and season generously with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle with chopped garlic and basil. Drizzle with olive oil.

Place in a hot oven and roast until tomatoes start to blacken around the edges.

While tomatoes are roasting peel and quarter the potato and boil for 20 minutes.

Chop some more basil and place in a bowl or mortar with olive oil and balsamic vinegar ( 1:2 oil to vinegar ). Mash the basil thoughly into the oil and vinegar

When tomatoes are done scrape everything ( black bits and all ) into a bowl or food processsor. Add the potato and its cooking water.

Blitz until desired consitancy is achieved.

Serve with chunky bread and a drizzle of the the basil dressing.
      FTW!

(I'd roast an onion and add that to the blitzer...)

Comment

After making homemade crispy fried Chinese duck, pancakes and plum sauce last week, I used the leftover duck bones and meat in a soup.

Boiled the bones to strip the meat off, added chinese rice vinegar balanced with some sugar, hot chillies, garlic, ginger, cornflour (to thicken) and then threw in some diced spring onions at the end.

Hot and sour duck soup - enough for a few days.

So much cheaper and tastier than those Covent garden soups (which are still nice incidently).
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

While we're on a food theme

...does anyone know a restaurant in London that serves the Texan dish "Chicken fried steak"? I believe it's a steak covered in KFC-like batter (so despite its name, hasn't been anywhere near a chicken). I think the Texas Cantina thing at the bottom of Trafalgar Square does a version, but I'd rather try it somewhere more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            ...does anyone know a restaurant in London that serves the Texan dish "Chicken fried steak"? I believe it's a steak covered in KFC-like batter (so despite its name, hasn't been anywhere near a chicken). I think the Texas Cantina thing at the bottom of Trafalgar Square does a version, but I'd rather try it somewhere more enjoyable.
            Have you tried the Middlesboro' version - the chicken parmo?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That looks foul! but I think I've had something similar in the mighty "Stockpot". Memorable because I ordered the Veal Escalope and was immediately asked matter-of-factly "would you like a side order of spaghetti bolognese with it?".

Comment

That looks foul! but I think I've had something similar in the mighty "Stockpot". Memorable because I ordered the Veal Escalope and was immediately asked matter-of-factly "would you like a side order of spaghetti bolognese with it?".
                It tastes better than it looks,apparently..
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

OK.
                  For salty soup, add stock.
                  What would you class as a salty soup?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    It tastes better than it looks,apparently..
                    most of my mashups taste better than they look, most of the missus's efforts taste worse than they look.

Like dishes by Lord Blandy Blandford from Blandy towers in South BlandLand

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      What would you class as a salty soup?
                      I do think you're concentrating on the theory far too much. Well for a winter, root veg kind of soup I'd leave the stock out because the vegetables taste nice on their own. But for a more summery green soup (leeks, celery, brocolli, fennel etc) you want some stock. Ideally proper chicken stock, but a vegetable stock cube at a pinch.

Currently t-1 hours till soup time!

Comment

Working...
                      X