• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old man had an old triumph dolly with a "dog is for life not just for Christmas" sticker, don't see any more of them either.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Evolution is hardly an idea. It's about as established a fact as any scientific theory can be, it's had over 150 years of scientific debate and analysis and has yet to be proven wrong, which is pretty astounding.

Not nearly as astounding as the 50% of Britons that don't accept it bbc linky
      I can't think how one can disprove evolution. It's not a mathematical formula someone can disprove. Scientifically, isn't that a weakness?

I'm a scientist as well as a Christian, and the thing that gets me with pure blind evolution is the sheer improbability. It's like saying that miracles in the bible could be due to quantum effects... that's possible but so stupendously improbable that it's kind of the same thing! At a high level it's elegant and you can say "that makes sense", but at a low level it's horrifically complicated.

This is probably too deep for a CUK eneral thread, methinks. DimPrawn will be along in the morning to ruin it
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        We're all atheists anyway. It's just that I believe in one less god than you, and (according to that accurate resource wikipedia) about 330 million less than Hindus.
        Can you explain that one? We're all atheists but some of us believe in god(s)? I'm aware of the argument that Atheism is as much a faith as 'proper' religions but not the other way round.

Comment

Oh how I long for time travel, if it is even possible.

The ability to go back and see for our own eyes, and hopefully put the matter to bed, one way or the other.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Oh how I long for time travel, if it is even possible.

The ability to go back and see for our own eyes, and hopefully put the matter to bed, one way or the other.
            what if we found life on another planet?
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Using a time machine?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Using a time machine?
                No, if got made the earth in seven days and sent his son to earth to cleanse us of sins, etc
                its all earth orientated isnt it.

So would it shake your faith if life was found elsewhere. after all , they never had sin, they never had jesus.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I've pondered that too.

Assuming that they are sentient and able to communicate, it would be interesting to see if they have a belief system, and if so, would it fundamentally be the same as ours ?

I asked a friend who is religious and said "Suppose they don't have a God or such. Never heard of the fellow. What then ?"

He replied :

"It goes to prove that God favoured Man, and we are truly blessed. Whilst the aliens are His creation too, the fact that they do not believe, means that they need to be saved and we need to convince them."

You see, the religious types have an answer for everything.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

......, and the thing that gets me with pure blind evolution is the sheer improbability.
                    Snap! That's exactly what I think about Religion.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I can't think how one can disprove evolution. It's not a mathematical formula someone can disprove. Scientifically, isn't that a weakness?
                      Not at all - as one small example, evolutionarily there were no mammals pre-dinosaur era. If just one mammal fossil were found in the Devonian geological layer then that would force scientists to rethink their entire outlook on the history of evolution. So far one hasn't....

I'm a scientist as well as a Christian, and the thing that gets me with pure blind evolution is the sheer improbability. It's like saying that miracles in the bible could be due to being made up stories...
                      FTFY

Theologically most gods were capable of extreme feats, even sons of gods such as Hercules. Doesn't mean those feats happened, or that if they did they haven't been embellished a lot, or even that David Copperfield lived amongst them. I still can't figure out how he levitates, doesn't make him a miracle-worker.

Comment

Working...
                      X