• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I still see a few (well, I am in Ireland, the land of the gullible). I have a Darwin fish on the back of mine to wind them up
    Ah yes. The "I don't really believe anything myself but I'll go out of my way to mock a religion I actually know nothing about because I'm such a prat" symbol.
    Still, much easier to mock Muslims because "they all are terrorists and enslave women" & Christians because "they don't believe in science", than to learn anything.

In that vein: Atheists, what an arrogant bunch. They're often more zealous and far less diplomatic about rubbing their beliefs in others' faces, those who aren't tagging along just to get easy laughs at theists because atheism's in fashion right now anyway.

You're all right, it IS fun poking fun at those you don't agree with
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      They're still their but with the fuel price increases and "global warming" they all do 40mph on the motorway now.
      You probably overtake them too fast too notice
      I'm not endorsing (or rejecting) either but for the sake of debate, both Evolution and Global Warming are subjects where there is claimed to be incontrovertible scientific evidence in favour of the theory, and anyone who doubts the mainstream view is tarred some kind of moron. You don't think atheists are just as biased searching for evidence that fits their emotional beliefs and covering over the tricky parts as GW zealots?

You GW-deniers are seen in the same light as deep-south Creationists by a great many people

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        both Evolution and Global Warming are subjects where there is claimed to be incontrovertible scientific evidence in favour of the theory, and anyone who doubts the mainstream view is tarred some kind of moron.
        There is a difference.

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species is a remarkably easy book to read. It puts forward evidence in many different ways that lead the reader to make a conclusion: a theory regarding evolution. He then presents it in his own way - very apologetically - and then goes on to reinforce it with more evidence. I have been given a few books which attempt to counter this work and they utterly fail to do so. In each case, the person who gave me a counter-work had never read On the Origin of Species because "they didn't need to".

Those that have read it struggle to find anything to say it is wrong. True, the theory has been revised and refined in the intervening century and a half but not by very much: it still stands.

Hence, those who say "evolution is rubbish" do tend to be considered in a low light. But that is mostly because of those who say it most strongly: the New Earth Creationists. Their arguments are very interesting but, sadly, not for very long unless one is a student of psychology.

Regarding global warming, those of use who seek an impartial definitive answer cannot find one. There are lots of small arguments on each side and huge amounts of poor or ambiguous evidence. There is no clear, definitive, theory which nicely wraps up all the evidence.

So those people who say "Of course it is / is not real, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot" cannot defend their stance. One side or the other may be right but it is more likely both are right and wrong to some degree.

So, the difference is that those who doubt the mainstream view on evolution are labelled moronic because they are flying in the face of a broad array of well researched, well analysed supporting evidence, whereas those who doubt the mainstream view on global warming (whatever that might be this week) are the open minded, analytical cynics who refuse to be taken in by cant and rhetoric.
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 14 January 2010, 21:39.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

A well reasoned point. But at a simple level both evolution and GW can be explained very easily. The main idea of GW hasn't really changed, I'd say, it's being refined as ideas on evolution have been.

Comment

But at a simple level both evolution and GW can be explained very easily. The main idea of GW hasn't really changed, I'd say, it's being refined as ideas on evolution have been.
            I know the idea of GW. Are you aware of a reasonably robust, peer-reviewed theory anywhere?

(The Wikipedia entry for Global Warming does not conform to their own standards but is not flagged as such so that doesn't help.)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Ah yes. The "I don't really believe anything myself but I'll go out of my way to mock a religion I actually know nothing about because I'm such a prat" symbol.
              Still, much easier to mock Muslims because "they all are terrorists and enslave women" & Christians because "they don't believe in science", than to learn anything.
              Depends how you take it. Am I mocking Christians in general, or just the percentage of them that believe that evolution is a myth as well? (It's a rhetorical question, you're right, I am mocking Christians - and religion - in general). I'm afraid though that I don't have a crescent or star of David with legs. Mind you, not that many Muslims or Jews in Ballyfermot.

In that vein: Atheists, what an arrogant bunch. They're often more zealous and far less diplomatic about rubbing their beliefs in others' faces, those who aren't tagging along just to get easy laughs at theists because atheism's in fashion right now anyway.
              You're right in certain cases, although I actually do live in a country where religion has ruled up until relatively recently. Atheism is still underground and whispered amongst friends, and even those I know that have confided in me their atheism won't do so openly. I still get knocks on the door from Baptists and the like though, so until the day comes when an athiest knocks on my door and invites me to read the latest edition of Science Monthly I'll have to disagree.

You're all right, it IS fun poking fun at those you don't agree with
              It's fairly gentle fun though. It's those that take it too seriously (on both sides) that need to lighten up a bit. With religious fervour as much on the rise as atheism these days I suspect that the issue will only become more polarised, especially in schools.

We're all atheists anyway. It's just that I believe in one less god than you, and (according to that accurate resource wikipedia) about 330 million less than Hindus.

Comment

it's being refined as ideas on evolution have been.
                Evolution is hardly an idea. It's about as established a fact as any scientific theory can be, it's had over 150 years of scientific debate and analysis and has yet to be proven wrong, which is pretty astounding.

Not nearly as astounding as the 50% of Britons that don't accept it bbc linky

Comment

It's about as established a fact as any scientific theory can be,
                  Which is to say it hasn't been disproved yet.

Bit like Anthropomorphic Climate Change or the FSM and his Noodly Appendages.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We're all atheists anyway. It's just that I believe in one less god than you, and (according to that accurate resource wikipedia) about 330 million less than Hindus.
                    I'm not, I'm agnostic.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Neither do you see those James Last Appreciation Society stickers on the back of cars that you always used to see.

Comment

Working...
                      X