• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

boiler dead and snow is forecast...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 degrees - that's about 2 more than my house normally is with the heating on

Go for point heating - pick the room you are in the most, shut all the doors, and put the electric heater on full blast. One toasty room later and you will soon feel better.

If it's that bad, go to your local electrical shop and invest 20 squid in another heater. Rough running costs for electrical heaters are 10p per hour per kilowatt.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Look for a gauge that shows pressure it should be around the 12 O' Clock position, where is it at?
      Not the best advice ever - on my boiler, normal pressure is at 9 O'Clock. If I could get it up to 12 O'Clock I would then wait for the....

Kerboom

And we are talking boilers here for those of a smutty mind

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
        hello everyone

i'd be grateful for some experiences/opinions...i'm in a rented flat without double glazing and the boiler has died. the letting agents have arranged for a heating 'engineer' to turn up sometime today, they have already told me on the phone that if the boiler needs replacing it couldn't happen untill monday at the earliest.

i'm wondering if the boiler can't be fixed what am i entitled to do eg. go to a hotel or something, i have a small electric heater, but it's about 15 degrees in here today and i have a horrid flu and i'm not sure i can cope for four days with no shower...
        Your post typifies why Britain is a nation of namby pambies. FFS, the landlord is doing what he can, most landlords would not act as quick as yours. The majority of people on Earth sleep on the floor, don’t have running hot water or even an inside loo.

Go and buy a fan heater, £10 and a hot water bottle £2 from ASDA. Body wash yourself with hot water boiled from the kettle. If you were in fever at hospital all they would do would be to give you a bed wash with a flannel.

As for catching flu, I have no sympathy with that because the vaccine has been available for months and as a contractor you should have paid your £8 and be vaccinated.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          Not the best advice ever - on my boiler, normal pressure is at 9 O'Clock. If I could get it up to 12 O'Clock I would then wait for the....

Kerboom

And we are talking boilers here for those of a smutty mind
          Well ok it should be somewhere between the green and red markers...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Well ok it should be somewhere between the green and red markers...
            No markers on my boiler - just numbers. Pressure should be between 1.0 and 1.5bar hot accoring to the manual. On mine it's usually 0.75 cold and about 1.25bar hot.

Oh, and the safety valve should lift at 3bar so maybe a whistle instead of KERBOOM

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Boudica is ill anyway.

If you really have flu you will not notice not washing for 3 days as you will just be able to get out of bed to go to toilet about once. If you can get out of bed to shower then you don't have flu and just have a nasty nasty cold.
              If it's the bacon blight then she'll be going to the loo about every 30 minutes.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Your post typifies why Britain is a nation of namby pambies. FFS, the landlord is doing what he can, most landlords would not act as quick as yours. The majority of people on Earth sleep on the floor, don’t have running hot water or even an inside loo.

Go and buy a fan heater, £10 and a hot water bottle £2 from ASDA. Body wash yourself with hot water boiled from the kettle. If you were in fever at hospital all they would do would be to give you a bed wash with a flannel.

As for catching flu, I have no sympathy with that because the vaccine has been available for months and as a contractor you should have paid your £8 and be vaccinated.
                Calm down.

She doesn't have flu just some diarrhoea and vomiting bug.

And yes it is always those whose landlord's give them dates quite quickly of when something is going to be repaired who complain the most.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

wasn't going to reply to this, as i can never understand what people get out of being snarly and righteous to others, but that is a topic for another day.

my problem is not a question of being namby whatever, i don't live in a third world country (in spite of gordon's efforts) and i seriously don't give a toss about what they do or don't do. i feel lucky that i have what i have and i pay a lot of money to have it, it comes down to contractual obligation which is what my original question was about.

as for having the flu shot, bully for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                    wasn't going to reply to this, as i can never understand what people get out of being snarly and righteous to others, but that is a topic for another day.

my problem is not a question of being namby whatever, i don't live in a third world country (in spite of gordon's efforts) and i seriously don't give a toss about what they do or don't do. i feel lucky that i have what i have and i pay a lot of money to have it, it comes down to contractual obligation which is what my original question was about.

as for having the flu shot, bully for you!
                    Is your shift key broken?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Is your shift key broken?
                      LOL!

(is that the best you've got?)

Comment

Working...
                      X