• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sick of IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Not sure what the big deal with Manchester is. Fine for single people I think. Once you have a family its time to move away.
    Not sure how you reached that conclusion
    Where would you move away too? From my experience all big cities in this country are just as good/bad as each other.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      you need to get a broader skill set

I am sick to death of people in IT compartmentalising them selves.

BA's are my current bug bear - they do not seem to understand that if the business needs something analysising it falls to the Business Analyst - just because it may not be their area of expertise or within a system they are comfortable with they spit their dummy out.

more people in IT need to get off their asses, got out of their boxes and get with the fu<ing program.
      That's why I'm doing well atm. I just took a BA role after 13 years development, coming up through the ranks. A great chance to flex my people skills, which so far have stood up to the test, and I've even seen off some bullys and kept on side with them. With my background in development I can talk knowledgably to the business, but draw the line at bringing the geek part with me. I also can liaise with the off shore development team and push back on them when they are taking the mickey. I can also caution them on areas where the estimates are low and I can see problems they cannot (experience).

I often got disappointed with BAs, especially when they only did 'high level' and would draw boxes with 'System operation' on their diagrams rather than define the business rules for said 'System operation'

Being a bally good developer/data modeller/architect after I have defined the requirements and got the reqs def up to snuff I can literally visualise the whole system, and look forward to seeing the end result. As such I prove useful in fielding questions from the developers, and giving off the cuff estimates when the business try and sneak in late changes (eg shouldn't be too tricky, I'll run that past the development team and get back to you with any problems, or 'Seriously, we should have thought of that before, that's a huge change and we shouldn't disturb the development team with this just now as they are ramping up for a release')

As you can see I do step outside the realms of a normal BA, but only slightly and I do keep things moving, and take the personalitys out of the mix and act as a buffer between all parties.

I have done hybrid BA/BPM development work in the past so to go full time BA was not too much of a stretch, but it was a stretch and a comfortable enough transition.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Good Man!

Comment

Good Man!

Look forward to working for you some day.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Look forward to working for you some day.

Steady on there fella - I don't take THAT sort of bribe

Beer is just fine!

Comment

Beer is just fine!
              Sure you do. Now just touch your toes

Comment

( )o( )

this what yo is after??

Comment

Beer is just fine!
                  Everybody has to take one for the team, sometime
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    I have done hybrid BA/BPM development work in the past so to go full time BA was not too much of a stretch, but it was a stretch and a comfortable enough transition.
                    Would be interested to hear how you make the transition and more about how you are finding not doing geeky stuff - I have been working as analyst/developer for a long time (staffware/tibco and Metastorm) - I love it, I get the chance to work with disparate areas within a clientCo as well as "coding neat stuff" but don't necessarily feel that it is "going anywhere"

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                      Would be interested to hear how you make the transition and more about how you are finding not doing geeky stuff - I have been working as analyst/developer for a long time (staffware/tibco and Metastorm) - I love it, I get the chance to work with disparate areas within a clientCo as well as "coding neat stuff" but don't necessarily feel that it is "going anywhere"
                      Metastorm! Blimey, another fellow Metastormer.
                      PM me and I think we should set up a call for the new year. Could be useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X